Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Russell Black <rb...@fold3.com> on 2012/03/07 22:51:34 UTC

Auto-warming for new indexes

As I understand it, auto-warming is the process of populating a new searcher's caches from cached objects in the old searcher's caches.  Let's say that a new searcher is created to service a new index that came from replication.  Because the new searcher is operating on a new index, how is it possible that caches from the old index can be valid for the new index?  Records could have been added, removed or changed in the new index.  It seems like this would invalidate the old caches.  What am I missing?

Re: Auto-warming for new indexes

Posted by Russell Black <rb...@fold3.com>.
I answered my own question after some digging on the code.  The caches are structured as maps. In the cases I looked at, auto-warming ignores the values in the map.  Instead, it uses the map's keys (usually a query) to perform and cache a search result in the new searcher.