Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "Simon.Baker" <si...@medfin.com.au> on 2009/01/08 06:18:47 UTC

Daily run output

Hi,

We have a spamassassin server filtering our companies emails currently.
Each day we recieve an email from the root account of our server overviewing
the previous days spam filtered emails, network status and disk status.

As i was not the one who setup the server, i'm not sure exactly how it's all
configured.

Could someone tell me what configuration file i need to change in order to
change the email address this email is being sent to?

Re: Daily run output

Posted by Decibel! <de...@decibel.org>.
If the actual subject is "Daily Run Output", it's most likely being
generated by a FreeBSD system. By default those emails go to root. I'm
not sure how to change that, but at least this should help with the
googling.

Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect  decibel@decibel.org

Re: Daily run output

Posted by Evan Platt <ev...@espphotography.com>.
AFAIK, that's not part of SpamAssassin, so you'd need to find
whatever is generating that e-mail and change it. I'm sure I'll be
corrected if I'm wrong, but this isn't an option I'm aware of.

RE: Daily run output

Posted by Anthony Kamau <ak...@anroet.com>.

I wasn't aware you could use an e-mail address in the form
<us...@domain.com> in the aliases file.

I guess I need to read a bit more on the alias file!

Cheers,
AK.

Re: Daily run output

Posted by mouss <mo...@ml.netoyen.net>.
Kai Schaetzl a écrit :
> Benny Pedersen wrote on Sun, 11 Jan 2009 18:12:49 +0100 (CET):
>
>> why
>
> still speculate three days after the posting on that? ;-) You don't even
> know if the OP took notice of any of the replies. See, it's Nabble.

yep. Using nabble doesn't go well with all the ongoing sender
authorization checks.

$ host -t txt medfin.com.au
medfin.com.au descriptive text "v=spf1 a mx ip4:203.110.140.216/29
ip4:203.94.138.208/29 ~all"

ok, it's a ~all, but still...

Last time I "noticed", someone sent me via nabble with a gmail address.
Given that I already have problems with gmail coming out of gmail
servers, I'm not going to adjust my config for that ;-p

Re: Daily run output

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.
Benny Pedersen wrote on Sun, 11 Jan 2009 18:12:49 +0100 (CET):

> why

still speculate three days after the posting on that? ;-) You don't even
know if the OP took notice of any of the replies. See, it's Nabble.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

RE: Daily run output

Posted by Anthony Kamau <an...@anroet.com>.

RE: Daily run output

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.org>.
On Sun, January 11, 2009 03:08, Anthony Kamau wrote:

> 2/  Locate the line starting with 'root:' in the file '/etc/aliases'
> and change it to look like this:
> 	root:	sysnotify

root: dest1, dest2

why add unneeded new users ?

RE: Daily run output

Posted by Anthony Kamau <ak...@anroet.com>.

To change the address where cron job messages are sent, follow
directions given by Rubin Bennett.

If you only want to change where logwatch messages go, then add a
'MailTo = ' entry into the file '/etc/logwatch/conf/logwatch.conf' -
defaults are saved in the file
'/usr/share/logwatch/default.conf/logwatch.conf'

If however, you want to redirect all messages sent to user 'root' to
another user account or even to a group, here's what you need to do:

1/  Create a new user account - a good name is 'sysnotify'
2/  Locate the line starting with 'root:' in the file '/etc/aliases' and
change it to look like this:
	root:	sysnotify
3/  Create the file 'home/sysnotify/.forward' and add the follwing to
it:
user1@domain.com,user2@domain.com,user2@domain.com,[local logon id],...

You can add as many e-mail addresses as you like as long as you comma
separate them!  If you want the message sent a user on the same system
that has an account on the box, then you can simply enter that users
logon id.  If you want a copy left in the 'sysnotify' account, then you
need to enter '\sysnotify' into that file.  The '\' ensure that a loop
is not created!

The assumption I made for the above is that you are running a Red Hat
Linux based Linux server such as Red Hat itself, Fedora Core, or CentOS.

Cheers,
Anthony.

RE: Daily run output

Posted by Martin Gregorie <ma...@gregorie.org>.
> Could someone tell me what configuration file i need to change in order
> change the email address this email is being sent to?
>
> ***
>
> I'd check crontab (crontab -l as root, list /var/spool/cron and
> /etc/cron.* and /etc/crontab) for what is running at the time the mail
> is sent.
>
> It may be something like spamstats.pl but it sounds more like whoever
> set the server up grabbed or wrote a wrapper script that does more than
> spamstats.pl does.

It might also be a custom addition to logwatch, though that's less
likely. Check that by looking in:
	/etc/logwatch/scripts/services/
	/etc/logwatch/conf/services/

Another possibility is that the mail is being redirected. Look
in /etc/aliases to see if this is the case.

Martin

RE: Daily run output