Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Roger Ruan <ru...@prrc.nmt.edu> on 2001/07/19 04:48:39 UTC

help!

Dear Sir,

I am using tomcat on windows 2000.
I have a problem:
 For IIS of Windows 2000 professional version only support 10 connections,I want to replace IIS with Apache,but I do not know if Apache supports the ASP or not.Our codes are developed in JSP/servlets and ASP.
Could you please give us some ideas about it?

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Sincerely,

roger

Dr. Roger Ruan
Phone Number:
505-835-5563(office)
505-838-9307(home)
e-mail:
ruan@prrc.nmt.edu
rogerruan@hotmail.com

Mailing Address:
PRRC,NMT
Socorro,New Mexico 87801
USA.

Re: help!

Posted by John Hebert <jo...@vedalabs.com>.
Tim O'Neil wrote:

> At 07:06 AM 7/19/2001, you wrote:
>
>> Roger Ruan wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Sir,
>>>
>>> I am using tomcat on windows 2000.
>>> I have a problem:
>>>  For IIS of Windows 2000 professional version only support 10
>>> connections,I want to replace IIS with Apache,but I do not know if
>>> Apache supports the ASP or not.Our codes are developed in
>>> JSP/servlets and ASP.
>>
>> Happy to help someone convert from proprietary to free software!
>>
>> http://freshmeat.net/projects/apacheasp/
>> http://freshmeat.net/projects/instantasp/
>

> No doubt. But don't you need to get advanced server
> to go over 10 client connections? I thought the limit
> was imposed by the os, not just iis.
>
> Oh, and if you insist on using M$ as a server platform
> get ready to pay a regular fee and the os locked to the
> hardware config of the machine (whatever that means, some
> kind of license enforcement or something) and other great
> features.

Ah, didn't know that but should have guessed. My last M$ experience was
with NT 4.0, and NT Workstation did have the 10 client connection limit,
which is why there are so many Windows 98 based webservers running Apache.

Roger, Tim is right, switching IIS with Apache won't fix the connection
limit problem. I recommend you switch to Linux, which runs Java and
Tomcat just swell.

--
John Alex Hebert
john@vedalabs.com