Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Albert Shih <Al...@obspm.fr> on 2008/07/09 10:40:21 UTC

backup to new server.

Hi all

I need to copy all my repository from my old server to my new server.

I prefer to do not make something like

	svnadmin dump

for each my repository.

Well If I shutdown my svnserve (by stopping apache), so I known no one can
connect to my repository, can I in this situation make a classic tar cvf of my
all repository and a tar xvf on my new server without any problem ?

Regards.
--
Albert SHIH
SIO batiment 15

Re: Re: backup to new server.

Posted by David Chapman <dc...@earthlink.net>.
Albert Shih wrote:
>  Le 09/07/2008 à 12:53:35+0200, Marc Haisenko a écrit
>
>> On Wednesday 09 July 2008, Albert Shih wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all
>>>
>> The answer is: maybe. It really depends on a number of factors(*), and that's
>> why you really should use svnadmin dump/load because it's guaranteed to work
>> on all occasions (change of backend, change of server version, even change of
>> machine with different bit sex, etc. pp.).
>>

> Thanks.
>
> Where that's really s*** is I have many differente kind of hook-scripts on
> each repository and those thing don't be backup with svnadmin dump/load.
>
> I'm going to make a script

Basically, tar xvf is only reliable if the two machines are on the same
processor architecture.  I found this out the hard way when moving one
of my repositories from 64-bit Linux to 32-bit Linux.  I wouldn't try
copying the repositories if the two machines had different operating
systems, either (e.g. Linux vs. Windows).  If the only difference
between the machines is the Linux kernel release, it will probably be OK.

Have you looked into svnsync?  It's available starting with Subversion
1.4.  That will only copy the revisions, but you can keep the old
repositories up until you're ready to do the switch.  You would copy the
hook scripts etc. with your scripts, then shut down access to the old
repositories, run svnsync one last time to get the final revisions, and
switch your users over to the new repositories.

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.4/svn.ref.svnsync.html

I recently used it to pull a repository off of unfuddle.com so I could
host it locally.  I have no idea what system they were using and didn't
need to know.  After the first big copy operation, incremental updates
to the new repository were a snap, and the switch from unfuddle.com to
the new repository required effectively no downtime.

--
    David Chapman         dcchapman@earthlink.net
    Chapman Consulting -- San Jose, CA

Re: backup to new server.

Posted by Albert Shih <Al...@obspm.fr>.
 Le 09/07/2008 à 12:53:35+0200, Marc Haisenko a écrit
> On Wednesday 09 July 2008, Albert Shih wrote:
> > Hi all
>
> The answer is: maybe. It really depends on a number of factors(*), and that's
> why you really should use svnadmin dump/load because it's guaranteed to work
> on all occasions (change of backend, change of server version, even change of
> machine with different bit sex, etc. pp.).

Thanks.

Where that's really s*** is I have many differente kind of hook-scripts on
each repository and those thing don't be backup with svnadmin dump/load.

I'm going to make a script

> 	Marc
>
> (*) - It might work if your repository is using the fsfs backend. It almost

Yes. It use fsfs.

Thanks for you help

Regards.
--
Albert SHIH
SIO batiment 15
Observatoire de Paris Meudon
5 Place Jules Janssen
92195 Meudon Cedex
Heure local/Local time:
Mer 9 jul 2008 13:19:36 CEST

Re: backup to new server.

Posted by Marc Haisenko <ha...@comdasys.com>.
On Wednesday 09 July 2008, Albert Shih wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I need to copy all my repository from my old server to my new server.
>
> I prefer to do not make something like
>
> 	svnadmin dump
>
> for each my repository.
>
> Well If I shutdown my svnserve (by stopping apache), so I known no one can
> connect to my repository, can I in this situation make a classic tar cvf of
> my all repository and a tar xvf on my new server without any problem ?
>
> Regards.

The answer is: maybe. It really depends on a number of factors(*), and that's
why you really should use svnadmin dump/load because it's guaranteed to work
on all occasions (change of backend, change of server version, even change of
machine with different bit sex, etc. pp.).
	Marc

(*) - It might work if your repository is using the fsfs backend. It almost
certainly will cause problems/breakage if you're using bdb.

--
Marc Haisenko

Comdasys AG
Rüdesheimer Str. 7