Posted to dev@ambari.apache.org by Don Bosco Durai <bo...@apache.org> on 2017/03/16 23:53:01 UTC

Re: UserSync with anonymous bind

Copy’ing Ambari mailing list also. Mugdha or Gautam who worked on the Ambari stack for Ranger should be able to give more insights.

Bosco

From: Loïc Chanel <lo...@telecomnancy.net>
Date: Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 7:51 AM
To: <us...@ranger.incubator.apache.org>
Subject: UserSync with anonymous bind

Hi fellow Ranger users,

As I was working on user synchronization from a LDAP with anonymous bind to populate Ranger, I met the same issue as I did almost two years ago : even if I provide Ambari with the property "Anonymous bind", the property is ignored and either Ambari complains that I didn't provided Ranger with a password for LDAP bind, or Ranger UserSync doesn't work because of bad credentials when binding the LDAP. Even more mysterious is the fact that the property cannot be found in the XML properties files.

At the time I first needed this, I used a manual setting I described in that documentation ( https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/RANGER/Configure+Ranger+UserSync+for+LDAP ) but as the configuration changed (I'm using Ranger 0.5.0 with Ambari 2.2.2.0) it doesn't work anymore.

Did someone met the same issue ? Is there a workaround/patch ?

Thanks for your help,

Loïc

Loïc CHANEL
System Big Data engineer
MS&T - WASABI - Worldline (Villeurbanne, France)

Re: UserSync with anonymous bind

Posted by Don Bosco Durai <bo...@apache.org>.
If they can create an user with the lowest privilege, then it will be great.

Thanks

Bosco

On 3/20/17, 2:37 AM, "Loïc Chanel" <lo...@telecomnancy.net.INVALID> wrote:

    Bosco, Mugdha, thanks for your inputs.

    I know this is not recommended, but as the LDAP is in a private network and
    we just pull the username and groups associated to it, this is not much of
    a security issue from our point of view.

    But if Ranger does not support it anymore, I'll ask my security team if it
    is possible to create a technical user whose only role will be to read into
    the LDAP like an anonymous user.

    Thanks,

Posted by Loïc Chanel <lo...@telecomnancy.net.INVALID>.

Posted by Loïc Chanel <lo...@telecomnancy.net>.