Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Pierre-Luc Dion <pd...@cloudops.com> on 2014/04/15 14:54:46 UTC

release note documentation

At the hackathon of CCCNA14 with Sebastien, we made few tests the RTD for
documentation versioning.

Look like we can use branch instead of tag for versioning and we can also
select which branches are published on RTD.org

So, in order to have doc version match product version, would it make sense
to create a branch call 4.3.0 for the current CS version and start updating
master for next version 4.4 ? once we will have 4.4 pretty much ready we
will be able to create new branch 4.4.

By using branches it allow us to update documentation without having to
update is version.

Make sense?  Have we missing a potential GIT behaviour  doing it this way?

Pierre-Luc Dion
855-OK-CLOUD (855-652-5683) x1101
- - -

*CloudOps*420 rue Guy
Montréal QC  H3J 1S6
www.cloudops.com
@CloudOps_

Re: release note documentation

Posted by Pierre-Luc Dion <pd...@cloudops.com>.
at this point do we have to create a new [discuss] thread?  I'm still not
familiar with Apache process so I can start a new thread.

I would also add few consideration.
by using branches, let say we create a branch 4.3 for current CS version,
this branch would be the default visible on RTD and we wouldn't see latest
anymore, the master branch would be the work in progress for version 4.4 of
CS. although, if we have a need for 4.3.1, then we would have to create a
branch 4.3.1 and update doc so it reflect new fixes, instructions,....
master and 4.3.1 branch would not be visible on RTD until the CS version is
released, but branches would be available on the GIT repo.

This way,  we can work on the release-note documentation as the CS version
is under development, this RN is not visible from RTD because the CS
version is not released but it is available in the gitrepo as master branch
or sub version branch.  So on RTD we would only see  RN of Released version
of CloudStack.

if typo or upgrade notes have to be corrected on RN of release CloudStack
Version, those fix would have to be performed on the branch directly and
the branch would have to be rebuild in RTD, this would not change the
documentation version show on RTD.

I guest this working method need a vote? at lease a [discuss] ? but if
someone need fixes in RN, example: fix typo, this wouldn't require vote
right?

Posted by sebgoa <ru...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by sebgoa <ru...@gmail.com>.