Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Milton Sérgio do Nascimento <mi...@hotmail.com> on 2009/11/19 15:59:55 UTC

Doubt about SVN.

Hi!

Is possible to migrate the document's versions  in the svn to the CVS?

Because I have a system in svn and I want  to change to the CVS.

In the future the company where I work , go to change all(system)  to the svn...

Re: Doubt about SVN.

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.
Let me get this straigh: You have several version control systems, and
you want to migrate them all to CVS because that's what you company
has standardized on.

I wish I could help you, but I've been in this business for a long
time, and I know of no tool that migrates from Subversion to CVS.
There are a lot of tools that allow you to go from CVS to Subversion,
but I don't know any that do it the other way around.

Try march-hare.com. They're a consulting firm that specializes in CVS.

That said, CVS itself is not currently being maintained or developed.
March-Hare is working on CVSNT which is now evolving a bit away from
CVS itself and is more concentrating on Windows based systems.

Basically, I personally would be hesitant to start a new project using
CVS. There are simply better version control systems (and I am not
simply talking about Subversion) that are in active development and
are being actively supported.

--
David Weintraub
qazwart@gmail.com

Re: Doubt about SVN.

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.

--
David Weintraub
qazwart@gmail.com

Re: Doubt about SVN.

Posted by "Robert P. J. Day" <rp...@crashcourse.ca>.
On Thu, 19 Nov 2009, Blair Zajac wrote:

> Milton S?rgio do Nascimento wrote:
> > Hi! Is possible to migrate the document's versions in the svn to
> > the CVS? Because I have a system in svn and I want to change to
> > the CVS. In the future the company where I work , go to change
> > all(system)  to the svn...
>
> You're going backwards in time!  We developed Subversion to fix many
> of the issues in CVS, so I don't recommend going back to CVS.

  i do.  then you *know* that, sometime down the road, there's going
to be work for a subversion consultant.  think long-term.

rday

Re: Doubt about SVN.

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.
Milton Sérgio do Nascimento wrote:
> Hi!
> Is possible to migrate the document's versions  in the svn to the CVS?
> Because I have a system in svn and I want  to change to the CVS.
> In the future the company where I work , go to change all(system)  to
> the svn...

You're going backwards in time!  We developed Subversion to fix many of the
issues in CVS, so I don't recommend going back to CVS.

Here's a good document on describing the changes in Subversion for CVS users:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.5/svn.forcvs.html

Regards,
Blair

Re: Doubt about SVN.

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.
Bolstridge, Andrew wrote:

> [...]

Boy, not a very convincing argument in that document.  Not one I would use to
have somebody not go back to CVS :)  I'm sure Google could have found a few
better ones.  Gotta love the "Still not know how good are some decisions they
make" one :).

About the only one that has merit is the "Tags & Branches (!!! IMPORTANT)" one.

Regards,
Blair

If you absolutely must still have CVS access, you can set a post-commit hook to transfer every file written to SVN back to a CVS repository. You’d be silly to do it, but it can be done: http://sam.zoy.org/writings/programming/svn2cvs.html