Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by AN...@L-3Com.com on 2008/04/16 13:03:10 UTC

crash issue svn 0.9.6 / subversion 1.4.6

I have the following setup:
server: subversion 1.4.2
pc: subversion 1.4.2, rapidsvn 0.9.6

With that setup, things work fine.

If I upgrade the pc subversion to 1.4.6 (svnserve on server still 1.4.2) then rapidsvn 0.9.6 on the pc gets a crash dialog on its startup.  The OS is Windows XP.  I'm using the install scripts from the normal distribution download.

If I go back to 1.4.2 on the pc, then things work again.

Is this because the local pc subversion needs to match the server subversion?
It looks like the subversion on the pc is running otherwise.  I didn't try any repository manipulation, but it has the svn help / svnadmin help without problems.
I would have thought all those versions should have played together ok.
There is a subversion download for apache 2.2 and 2.0.  I think I grabbed the 2.2 version.  We aren't using apache, just svnserve.  I didn't try the other one (pesky work got in the way).

I haven't reviewed the message board history yet, so apologies if this is a repeat.
Thanks,
Andy

Re: crash issue svn 0.9.6 / subversion 1.4.6

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Apr 16, 2008, at 8:03 AM, ANDREW.LUCAS@L-3Com.com wrote:
> I have the following setup:
> server: subversion 1.4.2
> pc: subversion 1.4.2, rapidsvn 0.9.6
>
> With that setup, things work fine.
>
> If I upgrade the pc subversion to 1.4.6 (svnserve on server still
> 1.4.2) then rapidsvn 0.9.6 on the pc gets a crash dialog on its
> startup.  The OS is Windows XP.  I'm using the install scripts from
> the normal distribution download.
>
> If I go back to 1.4.2 on the pc, then things work again.
>
> Is this because the local pc subversion needs to match the server
> subversion?

No, any 1.x verison of a Subversion server should be able to
communicate with any 1.x version of a Subversion client.

> It looks like the subversion on the pc is running otherwise.  I
> didn't try any repository manipulation, but it has the svn help /
> svnadmin help without problems.
> I would have thought all those versions should have played together
> ok.
> There is a subversion download for apache 2.2 and 2.0.  I think I
> grabbed the 2.2 version.  We aren't using apache, just svnserve.  I
> didn't try the other one (pesky work got in the way).
>
> I haven't reviewed the message board history yet, so apologies if
> this is a repeat.

You might want to ask on the rapidsvn mailing list, since your
problem seems to be with rapidsvn.