Posted to dev@annotator.apache.org by Leonhard Küper <le...@mogoh.de> on 2017/05/29 11:14:32 UTC

Should I use Apache Annotator or use with annotator.js 1.2.7 (for now)?

Hello Devs!

Should I use Apache Annotator or use with Annotator.js 1.2.7 (for now)?

## What I want to accomplish ##
I am working for a research project where some researches want to publish some drafts and want to recive feedback. Thus I am building a Website, probably a simple Wordpress installation.

## Feedback through Annotations ##
* I want visitors to be able to annotate selected Articles (drafts).
* The annotations should be discussion threads. One should be able to answer to annotations.
* I want to master of the data. The Annotations data should be on my server or, if I should use some external service, exportable for me.
* There should be some minimal Spam protection. One should need to create an account for annotating.

That is essential all.

## Timetable ##
It should all be done by the end of 2017 but I want to have a working installation within a couple of month.

As this project is of high importance for me, I am looking for a stable solution. If Annotator.js 1.2.7 serves my purposes I guess it is the best I could use by now.

Apache Annotator looks extensive, but it is not done yet? Is there a current Version and a schedule?

hypothes.is looks also like an option but I don't know if I have access to the data.

kind regards
mogoh

Re: Should I use Apache Annotator or use with annotator.js 1.2.7 (for now)?

Posted by Robert Knight <ro...@hypothes.is>.
> hypothes.is looks also like an option but I don't know if I have access
to the data.

Hello,

I'm a developer at Hypothesis. If you are interested in trying the tool and
fetching data using the API, our documentation is here (
https://h.readthedocs.io/en/latest/) and the API documentation can be found
at https://h.readthedocs.io/en/latest/api/. If you have any questions, I'll
do my best to answer them here. We also have a dedicated development
mailing list at dev@hypothes.is .

Kind Regards,
Rob.

On Mon, Jun 5, 2017 at 3:11 PM, Inci Tanribilir <inci.tanribilir@metu.edu.tr

--
Kind Regards,
Rob

Re: Should I use Apache Annotator or use with annotator.js 1.2.7 (for now)?

Posted by Inci Tanribilir <in...@metu.edu.tr>.

Posted by Leonhard Küper <le...@mogoh.de>.
Thank you for your comments.

Posted by Inci Tanribilir <in...@metu.edu.tr>.
Hi,
I'm working on a similar project. It is a portal for a creative
writing course: A student uploads a story, other people (students and
teachers) in the group annotates the story.
I can suggest offline plugin of annotator.js for the storage problem
of annotateit.org. The plugin uses the local storage of the browser.
You can modify the plugin (or simply just add an extra button to the
page) for extracting data from local storage. I'm not sure if it uses
the latest stable version of annotator.js in its github page. However
I didn't have any major problems yet.
Maybe not the best solution but an alternative.
Regards,
Inci Tanribilir

Posted by Randall Leeds <ra...@apache.org>.
Hypothesis has an API so you can get your annotation data. It is the most
complete and well supported option.

Annotator 1.2.7 works fine, but hosting at annotateit.org has been
discontinued.
Apache Annotator is very early stages, and you should not use it yet unless
you want to get involved in its development.