Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by "Schultz, Gary - COMM" <GS...@commerce.state.wi.us> on 2004/03/11 20:22:55 UTC

Indexing cocoon for search engines

After trying to get this working, I've determined I'm having trouble getting
cocoon indexed properly outside of the Lucene example. Eventually I need to
have Cocoon indexed by Google, Inktomi etc. Yesterday someone posted a reply
showing that something served by Cocoon can be indexed by Google. But how
does one get this setup? I've looked at the Wiki and other documents without
success. If I can't get indexing to work, management will force me away from
Cocoon to a Microsoft ASP based solution, which I would prefer to avoid. Any
and all assistance is greatly appreciated.

Gary T. Schultz
Web Technical Administrator / GIS Coordinator
Wisconsin Department of Commerce
6th Floor
P.O. Box 7970
Madison, WI
1-608-266-1283

Re: Indexing cocoon for search engines

Posted by Marcin Okraszewski <ok...@o2.pl>.
Maybe there are no links to your site from the world known by google?
 From my experience it seems that it takes quite a long time for Google
to index newly committed page :-(

Regards,
Marcin Okraszewski

RE: [OT] Image problems in IE

Posted by Matthew Langham <ml...@s-und-n.de>.
Thanks Laurent,

no we are using jpgs and not generating anything. But I think we have
narrowed the problem down to buggy HTML code causing IE problems.

Matthew

RE: [OT] Image problems in IE

Posted by Laurent Trillaud <lt...@jouve.fr>.
Matthew

[OT] Image problems in IE

Posted by Matthew Langham <ml...@s-und-n.de>.
This has probably nothing to do with Cocoon but I guess there is plenty of
browser know-how here too :). We have an problem with jpg images served up
by a Cocoon application. Sometimes (only sporadically) and on certain
clients Internet Explorer only displays part of the image (like a slice). A

Posted by Ugo Cei <u....@cbim.it>.
Schultz, Gary - COMM wrote:
> After trying to get this working, I've determined I'm having trouble getting
> cocoon indexed properly outside of the Lucene example. Eventually I need to
> have Cocoon indexed by Google, Inktomi etc. Yesterday someone posted a reply
> showing that something served by Cocoon can be indexed by Google. But how
> does one get this setup? I've looked at the Wiki and other documents without
> success. If I can't get indexing to work, management will force me away from
> Cocoon to a Microsoft ASP based solution, which I would prefer to avoid. Any
> and all assistance is greatly appreciated.

If there is something that prevents your sites to be indexed by Google,
this is certainly not due to Cocoon. Try the following two searches:

<http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Awww.cbim.it+%2Bwww.cbim.it>
<http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Awww.beblogging.com+%2Bwww.beblogging.com>

Google will report that it has indexed 331 pages from the first site and
521 from the second. Both are *entirely* generated by Cocoon: the former
statically, the latter dynamically.

And if you're asking "how", well, there's no "how". It's just HTML, as
far as Google is concerned. If you want to be indexed by Google, there's
only one way to do it: get a link to your site onto one or more pages
that are already indexed by Google and make sure that the link text is
relevant. The higher the number of links and the higher the "Page Rank"
(TM) of the pages they're on, the better.

Can't speak for Inktomi or other SE's, but I bet there's not much
difference.

	Ugo

Re: Indexing cocoon for search engines

Posted by go...@osmosis.gr.
On Thu, 11 Mar 2004, Geoff Howard wrote:

> Schultz, Gary - COMM wrote:
>
> >After trying to get this working, I've determined I'm having trouble getting
> >cocoon indexed properly outside of the Lucene example. Eventually I need to
> >have Cocoon indexed by Google, Inktomi etc. Yesterday someone posted a reply
> >showing that something served by Cocoon can be indexed by Google. But how
> >does one get this setup? I've looked at the Wiki and other documents without
> >success. If I can't get indexing to work, management will force me away from
> >Cocoon to a Microsoft ASP based solution, which I would prefer to avoid. Any
> >and all assistance is greatly appreciated.

spiders dont care about the way u gennerate your pages
the output is pure html with html link so there is indexing is not a
problem for search engines

some time ago i have a problem because the utf encoding but know i think
that all search engines support it.

i think that u'r a litle confused: the problem you have with lucene has
nothing to do with tha ability of other search engines to index your site

-- stavros

Posted by Geoff Howard <co...@leverageweb.com>.

Posted by Sal Mangano <sm...@ureach.com>.
Gary,

Google and other search engines will index your site once they follow a link
from the outside to your site. The fact that your site is served by cocoon
makes no difference. If they follow a link to a page in your site and that
page contains further internal links to your site then you are indexed.
Simple as that. Some of these engines and 3rd party paid services (e.g.,
overture.com) let you register your page with them to get the ball rolling.

I have no experiemce with Lucene but from what I can tell it allows you to
provide search within your own site. Getting Lucene to work (or not) has no
bearing on external engines being able to crawl your site. If you serve up
HTML they will index it. It does not matter where the html came from (xml,
database, etc.)

-Sal

Salvatore R. Mangano, President
sal.mangano@ into-technology.com
http://www.into-technology.com
Into Technology transforms software into enduring assets.

NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender. Sender does
not waive confidentiality or privilege, and use is prohibited.