Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2009/12/18 16:12:25 UTC

Naming of target-group

Hi all

I've been responsible for too many bad naming choices to try to come up
with something new here.  I've collected the names that I recall being
proposed, but I may have missed some and the choices may not be good
anyway.

I understand that (2) is very dependent on (1).

(1) What do we want to call the new element that behaves quite a bit
    like a target but has a dependency list that can be extended?

    (a) target-group

    (b) phase

    (c) goal

    (d - z) anything else

(2) What do we want to call the attribute of <target> that is used to
    add a target to a depends-list of (1)?

    (a) group

    (b - z) anything else

Stefan

Re: Naming of target-group

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>.
On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 16:12:25 +0100, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>
wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I've been responsible for too many bad naming choices to try to come up
> with something new here.  I've collected the names that I recall being
> proposed, but I may have missed some and the choices may not be good
> anyway.
>
> I understand that (2) is very dependent on (1).
>
> (1) What do we want to call the new element that behaves quite a bit
>     like a target but has a dependency list that can be extended?
>
>     (a) target-group

no objection for me

>     (b) phase
>
>     (c) goal

Both I would prefer not to, as this could recall maven concepts which are
not quite similar to the target-group current implementation.

>     (d - z) anything else

abstract-target, so it says it is about making some "API" in the build
script.

> (2) What do we want to call the attribute of <target> that is used to
>     add a target to a depends-list of (1)?
>
>     (a) group

fine for me with the target-group element

>     (b - z) anything else

an attribute corresponding to abstract-target: hookedto. A first idea
would be "implements", but it doesn't feel like inheritance. I prefer the
"hook" notion that the target will be added to the dependency of another
abstract one.

Nicolas

Re: Naming of target-group

Posted by Raja Nagendra Kumar <Na...@tejasoft.com>.
How about some thing like

<target name="" category=""/>

or

<category name=""/>

Re: Naming of target-group

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2009-12-18, Kevin Jackson <fo...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I understand that (2) is very dependent on (1).

>> (1) What do we want to call the new element that behaves quite a bit
>>    like a target but has a dependency list that can be extended?

> - moving-target (very familiar for people working in IT)

combined with change-request for the attribute this made my day, thanks.

Stefan

Re: Naming of target-group

Posted by Kevin Jackson <fo...@gmail.com>.
> I understand that (2) is very dependent on (1).
>
> (1) What do we want to call the new element that behaves quite a bit
>    like a target but has a dependency list that can be extended?

- moving-target (very familiar for people working in IT)
or
- mutable-target ?

>    (a) target-group
>
>    (b) phase
>
>    (c) goal
>
>    (d - z) anything else
>
> (2) What do we want to call the attribute of <target> that is used to
>    add a target to a depends-list of (1)?
>
>    (a) group
>
>    (b - z) anything else
- change-request...
- mutable

Kev

Re: Naming of target-group

Posted by Bruce Atherton <br...@callenish.com>.
Coming into this thread I didn't really have an opinion, but I like this
reasoning. +1 for both.

Re: Naming of target-group

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>.

Re: Naming of target-group

Posted by Sandu Turcan <at...@gmail.com>.

Re: Naming of target-group

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@gmail.com>.

Re: Naming of target-group

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2009-12-19, Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> But still I would take the risk to turn this thread into a brainstorming :

absolutely.

> What about  extension-point  ?

Sounds good.

Stefan

Re: Naming of target-group

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@gmail.com>.
On Dec 19, 2009, at 8:00 AM, Gilles Scokart wrote:

> 2009/12/18 Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>
>
>> Hi all
>>
>> I've been responsible for too many bad naming choices to try to
>> come up
>> with something new here.  I've collected the names that I recall
>> being
>> proposed, but I may have missed some and the choices may not be good
>> anyway.
>>
>> I understand that (2) is very dependent on (1).
>>
>> (1) What do we want to call the new element that behaves quite a bit
>>    like a target but has a dependency list that can be extended?
>>
>>    (a) target-group
>>
>>    (b) phase
>>
>>    (c) goal
>>
>>    (d - z) anything else
>>

> I like target-group.
> But still I would take the risk to turn this thread into a
> brainstorming :
> What about  extension-point  ?

I like it.  -Matt

Re: Naming of target-group

Posted by Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com>.
2009/12/18 Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>

> Hi all
>
> I've been responsible for too many bad naming choices to try to come up
> with something new here.  I've collected the names that I recall being
> proposed, but I may have missed some and the choices may not be good
> anyway.
>
> I understand that (2) is very dependent on (1).
>
> (1) What do we want to call the new element that behaves quite a bit
>    like a target but has a dependency list that can be extended?
>
>    (a) target-group
>
>    (b) phase
>
>    (c) goal
>
>    (d - z) anything else

I like target-group.

Re: Naming of target-group

Posted by Antoine Levy Lambert <an...@gmx.de>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I've been responsible for too many bad naming choices to try to come up
> with something new here.  I've collected the names that I recall being
> proposed, but I may have missed some and the choices may not be good
> anyway.
>
> I understand that (2) is very dependent on (1).
>
> (1) What do we want to call the new element that behaves quite a bit
>     like a target but has a dependency list that can be extended?
>
>     (a) target-group

I am fine with target-group. We can explain in the doc whether this
concept is similar to maven goals.
>     (b) phase
>
>     (c) goal
>
>     (d - z) anything else
>
> (2) What do we want to call the attribute of <target> that is used to
>     add a target to a depends-list of (1)?
>
>     (a) group

I am fine with this or target-group as in the current code base.
>     (b - z) anything else
>
> Stefan

Regards,

Antoine

Re: Naming of target-group

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@gmail.com>.
I have to say, I think "goal" is semantically reasonable--that said I
would want to use it.  Let's just say I'd like to emphasize the
dissimiliarities between Ant and Maven.  ;)  "phase" is not terrible,
but seems to imply that a buildfile represents a single "story" which
is not always the case.  I might recommend a name that evokes the
"concern" concept... any ideas down that path?

-Matt