Posted to user@pivot.apache.org by Bill van Melle <bi...@gmail.com> on 2011/02/09 05:25:59 UTC

How best to browse sources

Seems like there are a lot of questions that are hard to answer without
looking at the sources.  Not a great state of affairs, but it would
certainly be nicer to browse the sources in Eclipse than in a generic file
explorer.  The web site says the developers use Eclipse.  But the source
download is not in the form of an Eclipse project, or even a set of Eclipse
projects, though it seems not too far off.  Is there an easy way?

To partially answer my own question, I see that the svn repository is much
more in the shape I want.  Or at least the trunk is.  If I want to browse
the version corresponding to the 2.0 release, I'd guess I go to tags/2.0,
but there are no eclipse project files here!

Re: How best to browse sources

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@verizon.net>.
Yeah, the wiki should probably include sections explaining how to set up Eclipse on both platforms (and probably Linux as well if there are any additional nuances).

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@verizon.net>.
Correct - that is the recommended way to ensure that these classes are available when building Pivot in Eclipse.

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@verizon.net>.
Not sure why those files did not become part of the tags. I don't see any reason why they couldn't be - I'm guessing it was just an oversight because they are hidden (on UNIX, anyways).

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@verizon.net>.
How to resolve that is explained in the BUILD file.

Posted by Bill van Melle <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bill van Melle <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@verizon.net>.
We don't currently have a dedicated 2.0 branch because we're only actively maintaining the 2.0 branch at the moment. As Sandro noted, snapshot of all releases can be found under tags:

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

> The web site says the developers use Eclipse.
Yes, I can confirm that we use Eclipse 3.5.2 or later, and on different
platforms.

> But the source download is not in the form of an Eclipse project, or even
> a set of Eclipse projects, though it seems not too far off.  Is there an
> easy way?
Yes, because (under trunk or under tags/vX.x.x) there are all files for the
source distribution, in the standard Apache way, so in root you can find Ant
build file and other files for Licensing, Readme, etc.

Here you can find sources for the Release 2.0 (and for other releases 1
level up):
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/pivot/tags/v2.0/

To browse/test/compile in Eclipse the best is to download all projects under
trunk (for example in a dedicated workspace) from here:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/pivot/trunk/

and tell to Eclipse to create the same projects in the workspace (keeping
the same name).
And Build all ...

But note that with this approach you will not have all the files in root
(outside projects), so if you want to build/package/etc from Ant (for
example without using an IDE) you will have to download those files by hand.
Otherwise you could download all the trunk in a folder, maybe using
TortoiseSVN (for example in a folder called pivot_trunk) and maybe after
"Import Projects from existing sources" in Eclipse.

Tell me if you need other info.

Bye,
Sandro