Posted to general@xml.apache.org by Sam Ruby <ru...@us.ibm.com> on 2001/06/01 17:58:40 UTC

Consolidated feedback on JDK 1.4?

I'm looking for suggestions on how to provide constructive feedback on the
JDK 1.4 beta.  Note: the JDK is just a beta, so problems are not
unexpected.  The question is how to best work together to make sure that
when it goes production that users wishing to use Apache projects on this
new platform will have the minimum of problems.

Background: I've gotten JDK 1.4 beta for Linux, and have let lose Gump on
it.  None of the failures in today's run
(http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/gump/2001-06-01/) are present when using
JDK 1.3.

Question: Is there value in a consolidated Apache feedback, or should I
encourage projects to pursue the issues separately?  Here's a quick
summary:

   Biggest issue is JDBC 3.0 changes.  Affects struts, xalan2,
   commons-dbcp, avalon, and castor.

   Changes is compiler rules (variable scoping, inner classes) affects
   batik.

   Changes in reflection affects Scarab at runtime.

   Bug in Crimson affects Gump itself (the bug was fixed in the Apache tree
   over two months ago).

   Overall performance of compiler seems noticably worse.  Complete build
   of most projects used to take 80-90 minutes.  This partial build (some
   failures, many projects skipped) took 122 minutes.

- Sam Ruby

Re: Consolidated feedback on JDK 1.4?

Posted by Edwin Goei <ed...@sun.com>.
Sam Ruby wrote:

> I'm looking for suggestions on how to provide constructive feedback on the
> JDK 1.4 beta.  Note: the JDK is just a beta, so problems are not
> unexpected.  The question is how to best work together to make sure that
> when it goes production that users wishing to use Apache projects on this
> new platform will have the minimum of problems.

Yes, thanks for testing with 1.4 beta.

> Background: I've gotten JDK 1.4 beta for Linux, and have let lose Gump on
> it.  None of the failures in today's run
> (http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/gump/2001-06-01/) are present when using
> JDK 1.3.
>
> Question: Is there value in a consolidated Apache feedback, or should I
> encourage projects to pursue the issues separately?  Here's a quick

I'm sure any bug reports or feedback would be appreciated and sometimes
the ball gets dropped if you request that someone else sends it in.  So
I'd say to go ahead and send any problems you know of.

> summary:
>
>    Biggest issue is JDBC 3.0 changes.  Affects struts, xalan2,
>    commons-dbcp, avalon, and castor.
>
>    Changes is compiler rules (variable scoping, inner classes) affects
>    batik.
>
>    Changes in reflection affects Scarab at runtime.
>
>    Bug in Crimson affects Gump itself (the bug was fixed in the Apache tree
>    over two months ago).

Could you send me the details of the Crimson bug?  I am not familiar
with the other areas.

As to the various other comments on this thread about breaking
compatibility, IMO, it is not in anyone's best interest, including
Sun's, to break compatibility with previous releases.  It defeats the
major value proposition of Java.  For example, I've been told that using
the @deprecated tag is not allowed in new code b/c methods won't ever be
removed from APIs.

So if you find compatibility problems with the JDK 1.4 beta, I'm sure
the developers would be interested in hearing about them so they can be
fixed before FCS.  A major reason why the software is pre-released as
beta is to find compatibility problems.

Sorry if I sound overly self-serving b/c I happen to work for Sun.
There are other times when I don't agree with certain company decisions,
but that's another topic.

-Edwin

Re: Consolidated feedback on JDK 1.4?

Posted by Edwin Goei <ed...@sun.com>.