Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Rui Pacheco <ru...@gmail.com> on 2006/05/03 15:13:52 UTC

HTML tables

Hi all

I'm new to Tapestry and I've been testing it for a project at work. I was
wondering whats the easiest way to create html tables with navigational
links.

--
Cumprimentos,
Rui Pacheco

Re: HTML tables

Posted by "Brian K. Wallace" <br...@transmorphix.com>.

RE: HTML tables

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
Well, since Brian says that the docs are fixed in SVN, you could download it
and build the site (maven site) yourself.  Then, refer to the "unrealeased"
docs from your local system.  Or, refer to the free WAR file that I sent
earlier.  It really helped me understand tables in Tapestry a bit better.

Re: HTML tables

Posted by "Brian K. Wallace" <br...@transmorphix.com>.

Re: HTML tables

Posted by Martijn Hinten <ma...@cumquat.nl>.
Well... In the end all of it is just plain Java. And we have the source
code available. And google.

But I have to admit, documentation is sparse and not at all allways
correct. But hey, the best documentation is the source code, isn't it? ;-)

RE: HTML tables

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
There is a great reference for Tapestry tables in the form of a war file
example:

http://weblogs.java.net/blog/johnreynolds/archive/2004/10/learn_by_teachi_1.
html

I'm not saying don't buy Kent's book (I just bought it and I really like
it), but there *are* free resources.

Re: HTML tables

Posted by Peter Svensson <ps...@gmail.com>.

Re: HTML tables

Posted by Martijn Hinten <ma...@cumquat.nl>.

Re: HTML tables

Posted by Rui Pacheco <ru...@gmail.com>.
Come on, if you come to a mailing list its because you're lost and you need
the experience of others. Giving a couple of pointers, some keywords to use
with Google, costs nothing, both in terms of money and effort.

RE: HTML tables

Posted by Konstantin Ignatyev <kg...@yahoo.com>.
                      Sure it would. Personally I do not have issues paying fair price for valuable information or tool. I ma getting paid for my work and I do not ming passing that money to the people and companies which make my job more convenient and meaningful.

 Provided that they charge _fair_ price. And Kent's book has fair price.

James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com> wrote: Of course, pointing someone to *free* external resources would be a bit
nicer.

                      Such attitude is VERY bad in my opinion because if
shows lack of respect for people's time.
 It is the responsibility of a developer to check and study all the
available resources and only then seek for help in the list for something
that looks non-trivial.
 In my opinion responses which point to an external resources are the best.
Presence and wealth of external resources  indicates maturity of that
framework and development environment.

 Please read  "How To Ask Questions The Smart Way":

Rui Pacheco  wrote:And giving advice like buy Kent's

RE: HTML tables

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Re: HTML tables

Re: HTML tables

Posted by Rui Pacheco <ru...@gmail.com>.
True, but this example is also a good lead to start from.

On 5/3/06, Andreas Bulling <sp...@phoenix.hadiko.de> wrote:

> On 03. Mai 2006 - 11:29:36, Mike Snare wrote:
> | Seriously, you need to buy kent's book.  Or maybe look at the
> | documentation for the TableView component and/or the For component.
>
> No offence, but all those "buy Kent's book and read it" advices don't
> help if one needs a _quick_ answer to his question.
>
> So... For example in your .page file:
>
> <component id="personList" type="contrib:Table">
>         <binding name="source" value="modelSource.getPersonTableModel
> (queryParameters)"/>
>         <binding name="columns" value="literal:
> lastname:lastname:lastName, firstname:firstname:firstName, email, usertype,
> !profile"/>
>         <binding name="initialSortColumn" value="literal: lastname"/>
>         <binding name="pageSize" value="10"/>
>         <binding name="rowsClass" value="beans.evenOdd.next"/>
>         <binding name="columnsClass" value="literal:table_head"/>
> </component>
>
> <component id="contactUser" type="DirectLink">
>         <binding name="parameters" value="
> components.personList.tableRow.email"/>
>         <binding name="listener" value="listener:contactUser"/>
> </component>
>
> In your .html file:

> value="ognl:components.personList.tableRow.email"/></a>
>
> You should search the list anyway as most of the questions (escpecially
> yours)
> have been asked and answered many times before... ;)
>
> Hope it helps,
>   Andreas

Cumprimentos,
Rui Pacheco

Re: HTML tables

Posted by Andreas Bulling <sp...@phoenix.hadiko.de>.

Re: HTML tables

Posted by Mike Snare <mi...@gmail.com>.
Seriously, you need to buy kent's book.  Or maybe look at the
documentation for the TableView component and/or the For component.

-Mike

Re: HTML tables

Posted by Rui Pacheco <ru...@gmail.com>.
But how do you iterate through a recordset to create those tables and keep
Tapestry's model of separation of concerns?

On 5/3/06, Mark Stang <ms...@pingidentity.com> wrote:

> We create tables as just plain html and then embed DirectLinks with
> parameters.  Doesn't have to be that difficult.

Cumprimentos,
Rui Pacheco

RE: HTML tables

Posted by Mark Stang <ms...@pingidentity.com>.