Posted to users@pulsar.apache.org by Yu <li...@apache.org> on 2022/03/04 10:58:54 UTC

[Discuss] Create Pulsar client release notes

Hi Pulsarers,

For Pulsar release notes [1], we had issues below for a long time.

- All contents are on a single Pulsar release note page. No navigations.
It's easy to get lost and hard to understand which changes belong to which
Pulsar version.
- Java, C++, Python, WebSocket clients do not have independent release
notes, they belong to parts of Pulsar release notes. It is hard to find and
use.
- Go, Node.js, C# clients’ changelogs are hosted in their own GitHub repos
and not shown on the Pulsar website. Users need more clicks to get the info.
- ...

Recently, we got some negative feedback from users. I've submitted some
changes [2] but it's a stopgap.

To completely solve these problems, I propose to make some changes in PIP
148 [3], including but not limited to:

- Create a "Release notes" chapter to docs, which shows all releases
changes and release timeline.
- Add necessary explanations, such as time-based release plan, release
frequency, semantic versioning, maintenance life cycle, etc.
- Create independent release notes for all clients.
- Automate the process of generating all release notes, which is
relevant to PIP 112 [4].
- Add navigations, etc.
- ...

Here are mockups [5]. You can check and comment without login.

ACTION: Please provide your feedback within 72 hours. **If there is no
discussion or objection, we’ll implement them as shown in the mockups.**

We’d love your feedback! Thanks!

[1] https://pulsar.apache.org/en/release-notes/
[2] https://github.com/apache/pulsar/pull/14430
[3]
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1o6MWV3GvXQgKw1ZpL86y43xjnYvaUKrl6HxJKZnQyEU/edit#heading=h.35s8x8c7ja4c

[4]
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ul2qIChDe8QDlDwJBICq1VviYZhdk1djKJJC5wXAGsI/edit#
[5]
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MT8vt0620Cy4tggKk3gDVPbnhH7GVakld-5aDYCGAko/edit#gid=0

Re: [Discuss] Create Pulsar client release notes

Posted by PengHui Li <pe...@apache.org>.
+1

Penghui

Posted by Yu <li...@apache.org>.
Hi Michael,

Thanks for your suggestions!

--------------------

> I am happy to submit the PR to move this information from the "Versioning
Policy" page to the downloads page. Which doc's do I need to update in
order to move this table? (This relates to my other thread asking about
where to put this information, and because of the in-flight website
changes, I am confused about where to contribute this update.)

I think the content of the "Versioning policy" chapter [1] should be split
into different places:

> The Pulsar project adheres to Semantic Versioning. Existing releases can
expect patches for bugs and security vulnerabilities. New features will
target minor releases.

This part belongs to "semantic versioning", which should go to the "Release
plan" sub-page mentioned in #2.

> When upgrading an existing cluster, it is important to upgrade components
linearly through each minor version. For example, when upgrading from 2.8.x
to 2.10.x, it is important to upgrade to 2.9.x before going to 2.10.x.

This part can go to the Download page. You can modify this file [2].

--------------------

> I think that the versioning policy and the time based release plan could
be too long for the downloads page. I propose that we have a dedicated page
for this information and link to that page from the downloads page.

+1.
How about adding a "Release plan" sub-page under the "Release notes" page?
The "Release plan" page explains everything about the Pulsar release, such
as release frequency, semantic versioning, maintenance life cycle, and
other content in PIP 47, etc.

I highlight the changes in yellow, PTAL [3].

And here is a preview (just DRAFT) of the new "Release notes" page. [4]

--------------------

> Further, I think we should move unsupported versions to another downloads
page to make it even more obvious what is currently supported.

Instead of creating another download page, we can readjust the current
download page, such as adding notes / creating tables / other formats to
separate "unsupported versions" and "supported versions" and make the info
more prominent.

--------------------

> Recently, we got some negative feedback from users.

They are some users' feedback from Slack. We've replied to them and keep
them updated once we make progress on the PIP 148.

--------------------

[1]
https://pulsar.apache.org/docs/en/next/security-policy-and-supported-versions/#versioning-policy
[2]