Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com> on 2009/12/09 18:11:56 UTC

Feedback from Qpid users

Hi,

During the FUDCon in Toronto last weekend, I was pleasantly surprised
to see that Qpid was used in several upstream projects connected to
the Fedora community.
However the feedback from the folks I spoke to shows that we could
certainly do better to make the end user experience work.
On the bright side it seems we are on track to resolve these issues.

The top 3 complains I heard from people.

1. The Qpid documentation is incomplete, disorganized and often
lacking crucial information completely. (Ex. there is no guide for
SASL setup in the c++ broker)

2. The documentation does not reflect the code.  Especially
documentation for clients was poor.

3. The clients (non JMS) are difficult to use without reasonable
knowledge about AMQP.

I think items 1 & 2 will be addressed to a reasonable extent with
re-organizing our website and having version controlled documentation
in svn.
Item 3 would be addressed by our current effort around high level
client APIs - infact many said that is what they need.

Regards,

Rajith Attapattu
Red Hat
http://rajith.2rlabs.com/

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: Documentation (was Re: Feedback from Qpid users)

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 1:57 PM, Joshua Kramer <jo...@globalherald.net> wrote:

> Rajith, Everyone:
>
>> 1. The Qpid documentation is incomplete, disorganized and often
>> 2. The documentation does not reflect the code.  Especially
>> 3. The clients (non JMS) are difficult to use without reasonable
>> knowledge about AMQP.
>
> I had an article on QPid in the November issue of Linux Journal. Thankfully,
> the author's contract for LJ permits me to use the article in project
> documentation after the magazine has been out for a month.
>
> My article specifically addresses how to set up a C++ broker and Python
> clients and use them in several configurations (direct, pub-sub).  I am more
> than happy to contribute this.  To whom should I send it to review for
> inclusion in the docs?

+1
Thanks for doing this and I hope you continue to help.
Once you attach it to JIRA we could try to incorporate it into the
documentation that we are trying to put in place in svn.
Jonathan is currently trying to organize this effort.

Once the structure is put in place you could directly submit patches
against the doc-book source.
Currently there is a lot of gaps and contributions are most welcome.
However I'd wait until Jonathan gets a chance to take stock of the
existing docs and port it to the new format.
That way we could ensure no effort is duplicated.

Posted by Jonathan Robie <jo...@redhat.com>.
On 12/09/2009 01:57 PM, Joshua Kramer wrote:
> I had an article on QPid in the November issue of Linux Journal.
> Thankfully, the author's contract for LJ permits me to use the article
> in project documentation after the magazine has been out for a month.
>
> My article specifically addresses how to set up a C++ broker and
> Python clients and use them in several configurations (direct,
> pub-sub).  I am more than happy to contribute this.  To whom should I
> send it to review for inclusion in the docs?

You can attach them to a JIRA.

You could also send them to me, but it's better if everyone sees them.

Jonathan

Posted by Joshua Kramer <jo...@globalherald.net>.
Rajith, Everyone: