Posted to hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org by shanice msuya <sh...@gmail.com> on 2011/07/11 15:37:25 UTC

Running a server on HDFS

Hi all.
I am trying to run xen server in hdfs but I am not sure how to do it? any
ideas/help
Thanks.
Shanice.

Re: Running a server on HDFS

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@maprtech.com>.
HDFS is not a normal file system.  Instead highly optimized for running
map-reduce.  As such, it uses replicated storage but imposes a write-once
model on files.

This probably makes it unsuitable as a primary storage for VM's.

What you need is either a conventional networked storage device or if
Hadoop-like capabilities are important then something like MapR which allows
complete NFS access to the file system while still being compatible with
Hadoop for running map-reduce programs.

Re: Running a server on HDFS

Posted by shanice msuya <sh...@gmail.com>.

Re: Running a server on HDFS