Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Nikola Milutinovic <Ni...@ev.co.yu> on 2001/10/22 19:41:29 UTC

Problems setting up PostgreSQL and Tomcat JDBC connection

Hi all.

I'm crossposting this to two mailing lists, I think poth parties are concerned.

Finaly got some time to work on my project on Tomcat and I ran into problems.
Mostly these problems stem from the inconsistent documentation that accompanies
Tomcat 4.0 distribution. And it would appear that PostgreSQL is also in error
(see below).

I have:

- Tru64 UNIX 4.0D (a.k.a. Digital UNIX)
- Java 1.3.0 SDK
- Tomcat 4.0 final release
- PostgreSQL 7.1.0
- PostgreSQL JDBC 2.0 compliant driver

QUESTION 1: How do I go about setting it up with Tomcat?

I have tried the following:

- placed postgresql.jar in ${CATALINA_HOME}/common/lib/
- added CATALINA_OPTS="-Djdbc.drivers=postgresql.Driver"
- restarted Tomcat

My JSP file is:

<%-- My first go at PostgreSQL and JSP --%>
<%@ page info="test" import="java.sql.*, javax.sql.*" %>
<%!
Connection conn = DriverManager.getConnection(
"jdbc:postgresql://localhost/mercury", "test", "test00" );
String query = "SELECT * FROM div";
%>

[SNIP]

When I run it, I get the following error:

Root Cause:

java.lang.NumberFormatException: postgresql

This would imply that I'm either using a wrong connection string or the driver
isn't loaded, right?

QUESTION 2: Now this may sound dumb, but... PostgreSQL docs state that I should
load driver with "-Djdbc.drivers=posgresql.Driver", but if I list postgresql.jar
file, I see it is "org.postgresql.Driver". Is this a typo in the docs?

Nix.

Re: [GENERAL] Problems setting up PostgreSQL and Tomcat JDBC connection

Posted by Doug McNaught <do...@wireboard.com>.
Nikola Milutinovic <Ni...@ev.co.yu> writes:

> QUESTION 2: Now this may sound dumb, but... PostgreSQL docs state
> that I should load driver with "-Djdbc.drivers=posgresql.Driver",
> but if I list postgresql.jar file, I see it is
> "org.postgresql.Driver". Is this a typo in the docs?

Yes, the package structure changed in 7.1 or thereabouts.
'org.postgresql.Driver' is the correct classname.

Have you tried writing a standalone JDBC test app just to make sure
all the database plumbing works and you've got the right connection
URL?

BTW, the current stable release of Postgres is 7.1.3, and there were
quite a few bugs fixed since 7.1.0.  You might want to consider
upgrading.

-Doug
   --T. J. Jackson, 1863