Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Manel Clos <ma...@microdisseny.com> on 2008/05/19 13:25:53 UTC

Small documentation improvement

Hi,

I just started using Maven, and while trying to do so I got some
problems finding the correct information. Here is a list of improvements
that could help other people when learning Maven for the first time:

* Eclipse guide (http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-ide-eclipse.html)
- While it is included under the Documentation index, the average user
will click on the Eclipse link under "IDE Integration" menu item. In
this page (http://maven.apache.org/eclipse-plugin.html), you will be
directed to external websites, probably missing the "Eclipse guide",
which contains vital information about setting the Maven repository in
Eclipse. A link to the Eclipse guide in the Eclipse integration page is
a must.

- The Eclipse guide should mention that if you are using the M2Eclipse
plugin, it is better to use "mvn eclipse:m2eclipse" when generating the
project, as this will allow for correct dependency administration using
the m2eclipse plugin.

- The guide should also mention how you create the project files for
Eclipse if you are working with a webapp, as in "mvn -Dwtpversion=1.5
eclipse:m2eclipse".

- Related to the two previous points, you need to activate the M2Eclipse
dependency in Eclipse: Project Properties -> J2EE Module dependencies
for your webapp to see the m2eclipse dependencies.

* Site documentation
- How to generate pages in UTF-8? it may seem obvious, but it took a
while on the search engines:

    <plugins>
      <plugin>
        <version>2.0-beta-6</version>
        <configuration>
          <locales>en</locales>
          <inputEncoding>utf-8</inputEncoding>
          <outputEncoding>utf-8</outputEncoding>
        </configuration>
      </plugin>
    </plugins>

I Hope that someone can go over these simple things. It will really help new people get into Maven.

See you!

Re: Small documentation improvement

Posted by "simon.kitching@chello.at" <si...@chello.at>.
These do sound like good suggestions, though.

I *think* Wayne is suggesting that you create a JIRA issue with your
comments attached. That certainly sounds like a good idea to me (though
I am not a Maven developer).

It's also worth noting that Maven does have a wiki (see link on main
page) where people can add useful information for other maven users
without waiting for someone with svn access to do it for them.

Regards,
Simon

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.