Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Edward Foley <ed...@snet.net> on 2003/08/13 03:11:44 UTC

Configuration as Flat File vs. Registry

Greetings all. I have been reading some of the postings and the wiki
concerning the configuration (registry vs. flat file). In a production
situation where there are multiple instances of a container running at
one time I find it much easier to have a flat (XML) file to hold the
configuration. I can edit the file in my favorite text editor, XML
editor or IDE and deploy it through the build process for the
application. Having to go through a GUI to edit the registry for each
instance would be a significant pain. Even if you could, theoretically,
point all instances to the same registry I may not have access to a
configuration GUI from the console I am working at. I am also not
convinced that the common registry will not become a major problem when
you have a failure of the container housing the registry.