Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org> on 2015/02/09 07:25:23 UTC

New home for Ignite documentation

Hello Igniters,

I think I have found a pretty cool home for our documentation:
http://apacheignite.readme.io/v1.0/docs

https://readme.io is nice enough to host open source documentation for
free, and I like the editability and friendliness of their UI.

I have added most of the committers as admins to the documentation wiki.

Feel free to start contributing pages.

D.

Re: New home for Ignite documentation

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
It depends. To me. it is great if the docs are sitting right there with the
source code and I don't need to go around to find the right version. And in
many cases this is how that got handled in Apache projects.

But it is really up to the people who're developing the project how you want
to deal with it.

Cos

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sergey Kozlov <sk...@gridgain.com>.

--
Sergey Kozlov
GridGain Systems

Re: New home for Ignite documentation

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.

Posted by Artiom Shutak <as...@gridgain.com>.
Hi Dmitriy,

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Mar 04, 2015 at 11:55PM, Branko Čibej wrote:
> On 04.03.2015 23:47, Konstantin Boudnik wrote:

> >> There are a couple open questions here:
> >>
> >>   * While all committers can update the docs, all committers should also
> >>     be able to manage the readme.io site. AFAIK there's no automated way
> >>     to achieve that, and no documented way for adding site
> >>     administrators. That's kind of a bad start.
> > if readme.io would only be a "mirror" of real docs that issue will sorta go
> > away, right? As no one would need to manage or change the site?
>
> But that's not the case. Docs in git != online docs, so it's not a
> mirror, it's the only online source.

True, unless there's a way to transpose the docs from source code to something
like (c)wiki we might have a problem.

> Tecnically, you can view the docs with 'cat | less' and use your
> imagination to interpret the CSS and markup ...

My imagination works better than that - I can open a disk file in my FF ;) And
let it do the rest.

Cos

Re: New home for Ignite documentation

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.
On 04.03.2015 23:47, Konstantin Boudnik wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 04, 2015 at 11:41PM, Branko Čibej wrote:

>>> It seems to be satisfactory solutio as far as we keep the original docs source
>>> in Apache, no?
>> There are a couple open questions here:
>>
>>   * While all committers can update the docs, all committers should also
>>     be able to manage the readme.io site. AFAIK there's no automated way
>>     to achieve that, and no documented way for adding site
>>     administrators. That's kind of a bad start.
> if readme.io would only be a "mirror" of real docs that issue will sorta go
> away, right? As no one would need to manage or change the site?

But that's not the case. Docs in git != online docs, so it's not a
mirror, it's the only online source.

Tecnically, you can view the docs with 'cat | less' and use your
imagination to interpret the CSS and markup ...

-- Brane

Re: New home for Ignite documentation

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Mar 04, 2015 at 11:41PM, Branko Čibej wrote:
> On 04.03.2015 23:33, Konstantin Boudnik wrote:

> >> Yes, the Apache git.
> > It seems to be satisfactory solutio as far as we keep the original docs source
> > in Apache, no?
>
> There are a couple open questions here:
>
>   * While all committers can update the docs, all committers should also
>     be able to manage the readme.io site. AFAIK there's no automated way
>     to achieve that, and no documented way for adding site
>     administrators. That's kind of a bad start.

if readme.io would only be a "mirror" of real docs that issue will sorta go
away, right? As no one would need to manage or change the site?

>   * Readme.io is the /only/ online source of the docs, apparently. The
>     Incubator site links there, and there's no other way to see the docs
>     short of checking out the source. So ... what if readme.io goes away?

Yeah, that's an issue. I wonder if this can be solved by using some sort of MD
plugin for Confluence or something, so the docs can be visible on ASF cwiki
site?

Cos

Re: New home for Ignite documentation

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.
On 04.03.2015 23:41, Branko Čibej wrote:
> On 04.03.2015 23:33, Konstantin Boudnik wrote:

>>> Yes, the Apache git.
>> It seems to be satisfactory solutio as far as we keep the original docs source
>> in Apache, no?
>
> There are a couple open questions here:
>
>   * While all committers can update the docs, all committers should
>     also be able to manage the readme.io site. AFAIK there's no
>     automated way to achieve that, and no documented way for adding
>     site administrators. That's kind of a bad start.
>   * Readme.io is the /only/ online source of the docs, apparently. The
>     Incubator site links there, and there's no other way to see the
>     docs short of checking out the source. So ... what if readme.io
>     goes away?

That's beside the fact that "Fork me on GitHub" is really a very bad
suggestion. It's better to get people involved on the dev@ (and later
users@) lists than to encourage them to throw-and-forget patches at the
project through GitHub pull requests (which are, frankly, one of the
more onerous ways for contributing to a project).

-- Brane

Re: New home for Ignite documentation

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Re: Fwd: New home for Ignite documentation

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.
On 11.03.2015 08:58, Dmitriy Setrakyan wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 10:20 PM, Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org> wrote:
>

>>>  On top of that, everyone in the
>>> community has a chance to suggest edits to any piece of the documentation
>>> via "Suggest Edits" link on every page (yet another cool feature provided
>>> by readme.io).
>>>
>>> However, I believe we have to live with creating documentation in
>> readme.io
>>> first and then exporting it to GIT. I have also created a script which
>>> automatically goes through all MD files in the documentation and adds
>>> Apache License to it.
>> Can you write an automated script that proves that every change in the
>> documentation was made by an Ignite committer? Because that's what all
>> this boils down to: having a verifiable audit trail for every line of
>> source or documentation in a release. This is fundamental to the legal
>> requirements for a release. This is also the reason why the ASF insists
>> that repositories must be hosted on our infrastructure.
>>
> There is plenty of documentation in Apache TLPs which is being hosted in
> Atlasssian Confluence as well (https://cwiki.apache.org/). I assure you
> that in those cases Confluence is the primary editor of that documentation,
> and that it never ends up directly in the source tree. Can you explain why
> that process is any better than the one we have setup?

The difference is in the *.apache.org vs. *.io.

As I said, hosting this externally (pasting from repo isn't the same as
generating) doesn't feel right to me, but I'm not sure if it actually
violates any policies.

You have to understand that I'm not being pedantic for the sake of
making your life miserable, although I can quite understand if you're
feeling that way lately. :) I'm all for making things as simple as
possible for developers and users. But as I said elsewhere, the policies
aren't arbitrary.

-- Brane

Fwd: New home for Ignite documentation

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 10:20 PM, Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 08.03.2015 08:37, Dmitriy Setrakyan wrote:
> > I agree about most points, and we are addressing them.
> >
> > I still want to say however, that there is nothing proprietary about
> > keeping documentation hosted on readme.io. Apache Ignite is a fairly
> > feature rich project, and we had to pick a tool that would not only
> produce
> > documentation for us, but would also allow us to quickly add the
> > documentation, quickly review it and publish it. Simply keeping MD files
> in
> > the source tree requires lengthy customizations to CSS as well as writing
> > documentation in a human unreadable format. Readme.io actually agreed to
> > give us free hosing and allowed us to use their cool software for free.
> It
> > would be a huge loss of productivity for us to abandon it.
>
> Let me see if I understand this: readme.io is the only place where you
> can edit the documentation. You cannot, currently, edit the markdown
> with a text editor, commit it, then upload it to readme.io. In other
> words, the repository is not the source of the documentation.

You can, if you like, make edits in markdown document directly and then
paste them into readme.io.

> > Having said that, I have added the following:
> > - Apache License: http://apacheignite.readme.io/v1.0/docs/license
> > - ASF Copyright: http://apacheignite.readme.io/v1.0/docs/copyright
> >
> > I have also exported the documentation to our GIT source tree:
> >
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-ignite.git;a=tree;f=wiki;hb=refs/heads/sprint-2
> >
> > All committers have account in readme.io.
>
> I don't. And I find no documented procedure on the Ignite web site or
> elsewhere that would remind people to give new committers access to
> readme.io.

You do now (see my other email)

> >  On top of that, everyone in the
> > community has a chance to suggest edits to any piece of the documentation
> > via "Suggest Edits" link on every page (yet another cool feature provided
> > by readme.io).
> >
> > However, I believe we have to live with creating documentation in
> readme.io
> > first and then exporting it to GIT. I have also created a script which
> > automatically goes through all MD files in the documentation and adds
> > Apache License to it.
>
> Can you write an automated script that proves that every change in the
> documentation was made by an Ignite committer? Because that's what all
> this boils down to: having a verifiable audit trail for every line of
> source or documentation in a release. This is fundamental to the legal
> requirements for a release. This is also the reason why the ASF insists
> that repositories must be hosted on our infrastructure.

There is plenty of documentation in Apache TLPs which is being hosted in
Atlasssian Confluence as well (https://cwiki.apache.org/). I assure you
that in those cases Confluence is the primary editor of that documentation,
and that it never ends up directly in the source tree. Can you explain why
that process is any better than the one we have setup?

Having said that, we still can setup a process which ensures that after any
committer makes any changes in readme.io, they export them to GIT and
commit them. This way the trail will be there. It is a soft contract, but
nevertheless, committers can follow it. We community agrees, I will
document this process, ironically, on readme.io :)

Lastly, I think we should be viewing readme.io as a productivity tool, much
the same as IDEA or Eclipse for java development. It's a pleasure to work
with readme.io, and is a huge productivity boost compared to raw text
editing. I would not try to fight it, but instead suggest any changes we
have to make to the process (if any at all), so we can continue using it.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.
On 13.03.2015 01:17, Dmitriy Setrakyan wrote:
> Roman,
>
> Unfortunately we are forced at this point to take the same path as DataStax
> with planetcassandra.org (granted, of course, that community agrees). Here
> are the main reasons:
>
> 1. We have already invested over a month of very hard and scrupulous labor
> on producing documentation in readme.io and simply do not have another
> month to do it in another tool. (I have sent out my first email about
> readme.io on Feb 9 and unfortunately got feedback about it not being
> genuine from ASF standpoint only a month later)

I wonder what's the rush here. You don't have a deadline, neither for
publishing the docs nor for graduating from the Incubator.

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.
Roman,

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.