Posted to dev@orc.apache.org by Pavan Lanka <pl...@apple.com.INVALID> on 2021/02/18 23:03:24 UTC

Clarifications needed on some development standards

Dear ORC Community,

I have been working on the ORC-742 <https://github.com/apache/orc/pull/635> as part of the review there were some comments on empty lines and indentation. I have been working on them individually.
I thought I will reach out the community for guidelines on this that I can apply throughout the complete patch.

Empty lines
Empty line after start of block - NO
Empty line before end of block - NO
Empty line separating static and instance declarations in class - ?
Empty line separating return from the rest of the body in the method - ?
Empty line separating logical code chunks within the method - ?

Indentation
Method Parameters does not fit in line - CHOMP and ALIGN, WRAP and ALIGN?
In case parameter list in original code does , should that be changed or leave as is in the patch

Any other inputs on common mistakes from newbie contributors is appreciated.
Based on the feedback I can try to add where possible check style rules.

Thanks,
Pavan