Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Alessandro Ferrucci <al...@gmail.com> on 2007/07/10 17:20:23 UTC

SOLR using sort but not sorting

Yo guys

so I have a very simplistic solr installation.  The relevant schema portion
is:

    <field name="last-name" type="text" indexed="true" stored="true"/>
    <field name="first-name" type="text" indexed="true" stored="true"/>
    <field name="school-year" type="text" indexed="true" stored="true"/>
    <field name="player-position" type="text" indexed="true" stored="true"/>
    <field name="school" type="text" indexed="true" stored="true"/>
    <field name="conference" type="text" indexed="true" stored="true"/>

everything else is set to default.

now I do

last-name:a*
I get all docs wiht last-name starting with a.

now I add sort=last-name asc

this DOES change the ordering of the docs but it's not exactly
alphabetically.

I looked at each relevancy score and all records have 1.0, so it's not using
the relevancy to boost at all.

Any ideas?

thx guys

--
ale =]

Re: SOLR using sort but not sorting

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
:     <field name="last-name" type="text" indexed="true" stored="true"/>

: now I add sort=last-name asc
:
: this DOES change the ordering of the docs but it's not exactly
: alphabetically.

Lucene sorting can't work on a field with more then one indexed term per
document, this was breifly covered in the "sort" param docs, but i have
beefed up the info....

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/CommonQueryParameters#sort

...if you have any ideas for improving the docs, please feel free to edit
the wiki.

-Hoss