Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Harmeet Bedi <ha...@gmail.com> on 2008/06/09 08:59:31 UTC

Schemas in OfBiz and ARTS Compliance

How stable are schemas in Ofbiz ?
Are there any plans to be be ARTS Compliant - http://www.nrf-arts.org/ ?
Has ARTS been a design influence ?

We are a company based out of Canada and would be interested in
contributing a few development resources(1-2 devs for some months) to
move towards Arts compliance if there is common interest and it is
feasible. We are currently trying to evaluate what exists in opensource
and if we can make a positive contribution.

thanks,
Harmeet

Re: Schemas in OfBiz and ARTS Compliance

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
On Jun 9, 2008, at 12:59 AM, Harmeet Bedi wrote:

> How stable are schemas in Ofbiz ?

At this point in time they are very stable. New entities and fields
are occasionally added, but very few other changes are done and the
basic entities have not changed for many years.

> Are there any plans to be be ARTS Compliant - http://www.nrf-
> arts.org/ ?

There are no plans for this that I am aware of, but it could certainly
be done, and probably without too much difficulty. This would take a
fair amount of time and a good understanding of the both the ARTS data
model and the OFBiz data model to do the gap analysis before trying to
go for certification.

> Has ARTS been a design influence ?

No, it has not been. The ARTS data model is available only to members
of the organization and while the licensing terms appear to be okay
(just looked at them briefly), I haven't looked into the details and
personally have never seen any of their data model documentation.

> We are a company based out of Canada and would be interested in
> contributing a few development resources(1-2 devs for some months)
> to move towards Arts compliance if there is common interest and it
> is feasible. We are currently trying to evaluate what exists in
> opensource and if we can make a positive contribution.

If this is something you would like to work on then that is really all
that matters. OFBiz is a community driven open source project that is
what it is because of community contributions. If you're interested in
joining the community then you are most welcome to get involved.

All you really need to do is start working on stuff. You initial
contributions should go through Jira issues (patches attached, etc)
and over time for those who have contributed substantially we invite
them to become committers to make it easier for them to continue
contributing.

If you need help from anyone, or need any resources that you and your
group are not able to provide, or for general interactions, please
speak up quickly and frequently on the mailing list to keep your
interactions with others open (this is a very important factor for
success... after all a community driven open source project is really
all about enabling collaboration).

-David