Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Seetamraju Uday Bhaskar Sarma <sa...@uss-infr.com> on 2010/03/19 02:21:31 UTC

3rd party JARs -- local vs. remote repositories

Hi,

For the following, lets take a simple example of :-
     Create a Session Bean that is deployed --by itself-- and not within
a EAR.
     And also, lets assume that the session bean depends on a commercial
(3rd party) JAR for (say) statistical analysis.

EJB jars always had dependency JARs located under META-INF/lib;
Has this changed?
i.e., should each EJB and all the JARs that it depends on, be packages
as an EAR?

Thanks for the google link.
I didn't use the keyword "bundle", when I did my searches.

I just googled "maven 3rd party jars" and got a completely new set of links.
Except that all the suggestions fail for me, with the --only--
difference that I am using local (~/.m2/repository) instead of a remote
repository.
Why should that matter?

Thanks again in advance!

Re: 3rd party JARs -- local vs. remote repositories

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
> EJB jars always had dependency JARs located under META-INF/lib;
> Has this changed?

Again, what Java app server or EJB container and JVM/JDK are you
using? This is not part of the JAR specification [1] and does not
comply with Sun's advice regarding J2EE packaging in general [2].

> i.e., should each EJB and all the JARs that it depends on, be packages as an
> EAR?

Yes, an Ear or a War, or in some situations a Rar or another format.

[1] http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/jar/jar.html
[2] http://java.sun.com/j2ee/verified/packaging.html

Wayne