Posted to dev@carbondata.apache.org by QiangCai <qi...@qq.com> on 2016/08/05 06:31:42 UTC

Discussing to add carbondata-tools module

Hi all,

  To improve the CarbonData system's usability and maintainability, I
suggest to add carbondata-tools module.
  I think this module should provide some command tools as following.

  1. import
  import a data file/folder to any existing table

  2. export
  export the given columns to a file

  3. schema
  show the detail information of the specified table schema file

  4. metadata
  show tablestatus metadata
  show the history track for dataloading and compaction

  5. footer
  show blocklet metadata list
  show start/end key, min/max value, row number, total size  for the
specified blocklet

  6. blocklet
  show blocket list
  show blocket data, RLE map, Inverted index for the given columns

  show BTree node list
  show node information:start/end key, min/max value)

  8. dictionary
  show  key-value list of specified gloabl/local dictionary file
  show sort index
  show dictionary metadata

Thank you and look forward to having your opinion on this carbon-tools
module.

David Cai

Re: Discussing to add carbondata-tools module

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1

Regards
JB

On 08/05/2016 08:31 AM, QiangCai wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>   To improve the CarbonData system's usability and maintainability, I
> suggest to add carbondata-tools module.
>   I think this module should provide some command tools as following.
>
>   1. import
>   import a data file/folder to any existing table
>
>   2. export
>   export the given columns to a file
>
>   3. schema
>   show the detail information of the specified table schema file
>
>   4. metadata
>   show tablestatus metadata
>   show the history track for dataloading and compaction
>
>   5. footer
>   show blocklet metadata list
>   show start/end key, min/max value, row number, total size  for the
> specified blocklet
>
>   6. blocklet
>   show blocket list
>   show blocket data, RLE map, Inverted index for the given columns

>   show BTree node list
>   show node information:start/end key, min/max value)
>
>   8. dictionary
>   show  key-value list of specified gloabl/local dictionary file
>   show sort index
>   show dictionary metadata
>
> Thank you and look forward to having your opinion on this carbon-tools
> module.
>
> David Cai

Jean-Baptiste Onofr
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: Discussing to add carbondata-tools module

Posted by chenliang613 <ch...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for you started the discussion, these tools look good.

I am trying to understand why need these tools : Can you provide some
scenarios info, these tools could help users to solve what issues?

Regards
Liang

Re: Discussing to add carbondata-tools module

Posted by Raghunandan S <ca...@gmail.com>.
+1
I suggest we separate the tools as usability and Dev/debugging tools
Take up the usability tools with highest priority

Posted by Venkata Gollamudi <g....@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by 金铸 <ji...@neusoft.com>.
+1

--
金铸
技术发展部(TDD)

Posted by Vimal Das Kammath <vi...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
I guess it's where we can put the checkstyle, ... (what we have in the
dev folder right now), correct ?

Regards
JB

On 08/05/2016 08:31 AM, QiangCai wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>   To improve the CarbonData system's usability and maintainability, I
> suggest to add carbondata-tools module.
>   I think this module should provide some command tools as following.
>
>   1. import
>   import a data file/folder to any existing table
>
>   2. export
>   export the given columns to a file
>
>   3. schema
>   show the detail information of the specified table schema file
>
>   4. metadata
>   show tablestatus metadata
>   show the history track for dataloading and compaction
>
>   5. footer
>   show blocklet metadata list
>   show start/end key, min/max value, row number, total size  for the
> specified blocklet
>
>   6. blocklet
>   show blocket list
>   show blocket data, RLE map, Inverted index for the given columns

>   show BTree node list
>   show node information:start/end key, min/max value)
>
>   8. dictionary
>   show  key-value list of specified gloabl/local dictionary file
>   show sort index
>   show dictionary metadata
>
> Thank you and look forward to having your opinion on this carbon-tools
> module.
>
> David Cai

Jean-Baptiste Onofr
jbonofre@apache.org