Posted to dev@accumulo.apache.org by Bill Havanki <bh...@clouderagovt.com> on 2014/03/04 16:36:03 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Accumulo Bylaws

OK, made a bunch of changes:

- changed code change approval to lazy, then consensus
- changed new codebase approval to consensus
- changed bylaw change approval to majority - this is my preference, but
I'm willing to yield and go with consensus at this point, anybody can
change it
- removed vote actions for kicking out committers and PMC members
- removed definitions for 2/3 majority and "full consensus", which weren't
defined by ASF
- added this sentence for C == PMC, feel free to strengthen but I like the
teeny bit of wiggle room:

It is the custom of the Accumulo project to also invite each committer to
become a member of the Accumulo PMC.

- added paragraph on commit access being disabled for routine security,
using "may" so that we never are required to do it:

An emeritus committer's commit access may be disabled as part of routine
security. Access shall not be removed without notifying the committer, and
access shall be maintained if the committer wishes to leave it active. A
committer's commit access shall be reactivated upon the committer's request
to the PMC.

>From my POV, these changes might handle all our open issues. I'd like to
ask everyone to take another look at the doc and see if we can get to a
vote and close this effort out.

Bill H

--
// Bill Havanki
// 443.686.9283

Re: [DISCUSS] Accumulo Bylaws

Posted by Mike Drob <ma...@cloudera.com>.
My apologies for these not making it into the document. I thought that you
had already made the changes yourself. Removed the business days thing,
that's makes sense.

I added the committer section almost verbatim. I made a few changes to your
proposed PMC section because it looked like a lot of that was covered by
the bullets we already have. Can you take another look?

Re: [DISCUSS] Accumulo Bylaws

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.
On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 11:24 AM, Billie Rinaldi <bi...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Also, I have a slight preference for not using business days
> for vote lengths since not all of our voters do this as their day job.

+1 I have a strong preference for not using business days.

Re: [DISCUSS] Accumulo Bylaws

Posted by Billie Rinaldi <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Accumulo Bylaws

Posted by Bill Havanki <bh...@clouderagovt.com>.

--
// Bill Havanki
// 443.686.9283

Re: [DISCUSS] Accumulo Bylaws

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.
To be consistent with what exists of related docs (namely releasing), I
think the location should be
http://accumulo.apache.org/governance/bylaws.html

I'd like the vote to also cover cleaning up related governance docs (like
voting and lazyConsensus) either incorporating references to them in the
bylaws or removing them as appropriate.

Re: [DISCUSS] Accumulo Bylaws

Posted by Mike Drob <ma...@cloudera.com>.