Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Simon Steiner <si...@gmail.com> on 2014/09/04 14:48:08 UTC

[VOTE] Enable findbugs

Hi,

Vote to fail fop on Jenkins if findbugs 2.0.3 finds a warning. The exclude
file has been updated so present warning types are excluded therefore more
controversial warnings are not enabled.

You would at minimum only maintain exclude file.

The vote will run for 7 days until 11 Sept.

Here's my +1

Thanks

Re: [VOTE] Enable findbugs

Posted by Clay Leeds <th...@gmail.com>.
Don't VOTES need to go on general@?

+1 from me.
Cheers!

Clay

--

"My religion is simple. My religion is kindness."
- HH The Dalai Lama of Tibet

Re: [VOTE] Enable findbugs

Posted by Glenn Adams <gl...@skynav.com>.
On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 7:11 AM, Simon Steiner <si...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I don’t see how finishing the cleanup affects the vote. Im not aware of
> what you are currently working on.

Perhaps you are not signed up for the email list that notifies we devs of
new commits in SVN? Because if you were, and at least scanning this
traffic, then you could not help but be aware. Also, if you look at the svn
log on findbug-excludes you will see I have been making many changes
recently. Please add yourself to that list if not already added. In any
case, please revert your changes so I can complete my work.

Perhaps I could have made this work in progress more publicized, but I
suppose I have been presuming that other devs monitor new commits.

Re: [VOTE] Enable findbugs

Posted by Glenn Adams <gl...@skynav.com>.
On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 7:56 AM, Simon Steiner <si...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Why not start with a lax exclude and evolve it over time. If you don’t
> enable it now, you create more work since we will keep getting new warnings
> put in and glens work increases.

To summarize my current work. I basically threw out the many auto-generated
and manually added exclusions that had been in the prior exclusion file
(before I started doing cleanup), and then I put in broad matches for each
type currently being hit. This was (is) a temporary state of affairs while
I perform cleanup.

Since then I have been fixing those items that produce warnings, starting
at items with least number of warnings, and working my way up. I am
presently working on fixing the warnings that generate between 10 and 20
hits each. At the upper end of the hit count, we have:

131 BC_UNCONFIRMED_CAST (*)
 88 DM_NUMBER_CTOR
 84 EI_EXPOSE_REP (*)
 58 UWF_FIELD_NOT_INITIALIZED_IN_CONSTRUCTOR
 55 EI_EXPOSE_REP2 (*)
 46 PZLA_PREFER_ZERO_LENGTH_ARRAYS (*)

Of these, I expect I'll leave broad match filters for the four warning
types marked as (*), although of these, BC_UNCONFIRMED_CAST could generate
run-time exceptions if (unstated) assumptions are violated.

Ideally, we would have no exclusion rules, but practically, I think we will
end up with these four (or perhaps three) marked types being excluded. I
plan to fix other warnings, so not exclude them.

My plan is to finish this cleanup work, then enable put it to a vote, then
enable in nightly builds if we reach consensus.

RE: [VOTE] Enable findbugs

Posted by Simon Steiner <si...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: [VOTE] Enable findbugs