Posted to ivy-dev@incubator.apache.org by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com> on 2007/11/30 02:17:17 UTC

Ivy 2.0 beta 1

Hi,

It's been a very long time since we considered releasing Ivy 2.0 beta 1, and
as I said last week I think it would really nice to release it very soon,
before javapolis where I give a short talk to be accurate.

In JIRA, here are the unresolved issues assigned to 2.0 beta 1:
IVY-593    UNRESOLVED     Check the Export Control Classification Number
(ECCN)
IVY-586    UNRESOLVED     ivy doesn't handle relocation in pom.xml
IVY-616    UNRESOLVED     Maven Dependency Management is not used to
determine artifact version
IVY-591    UNRESOLVED     review all tutorials to make sure they are in sync
with 2.0

IVY-591 is what has been blocking the 2.0 beta 1 for so long, but I think we
are almost done. I've just checked in the reviewed sources of the last
unreviewed tutorial (build a repository), so the last thing to do is review
the tutorial itself. I will do that this week-end unless someone beats me.

I don't know how critical is IVY-593, and what really need to be done. It
would be nice if it would not delay 2.0 beta 1.

For IVY-586 and IVY-616, I see no reason why we couldn't postpone them to a
beta 2 or RC1 if they aren't get fixed in the coming days. Maarten, I've
seen you just assigned IVY-616 and a couple of other maven 2 related issues
to you, do you think you will have something done soon?

Besides this, there's one other thing I really would like to have with
2.0beta 1 is a publication to the maven 2 repository. We are very
close, we are
already able to generate a pom from our ivy file, we package our sources and
generate checksums, so I think it's only a matter of packaging, I should be
able to prepare this too this week-end.

So, do you agree if I prepare the release on sunday (with at least IVY-591
fixed, maybe some others, no guarantee though), to submit it to your vote
early next week? Do you see anything blocking? Any comment on IVY-593?

Xavier
http://xhab.blogspot.com/
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/
http://www.xoocode.org/

RE: Ivy 2.0 beta 1

Posted by Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com>.
http://www.apache.org/dev/crypto.html#inform talk about the README and we have a README, so I guess that's the right
place.

I just check it in, please review to make sure I didn't missed something.

Gilles

Re: Ivy 2.0 beta 1

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Re: Ivy 2.0 beta 1

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
No time to do the version tonight either, I hope tomorrow I will be in
better shape.

Xavier

http://xhab.blogspot.com/
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/
http://www.xoocode.org/

RE: Ivy 2.0 beta 1

Posted by Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com>.
I tried the current code base with a rather heavy multimodule build.

After the fix for the private configuration transferred in case of eviction that I have already fixed, it worked for my
build.

Gilles

Re: Ivy 2.0 beta 1

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.

http://xhab.blogspot.com/
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/
http://www.xoocode.org/

Re: Ivy 2.0 beta 1

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
On Nov 30, 2007 9:10 AM, Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> IVY-593 is not really related to a releases.  It is somehting we normally
> have to do before putting our sources in a public SVN.  For that, we have
> do what is described in [1].  That is, update the export page (requires
> site
> karma) and notify the US government.
> The problem that I have there is that I don't know how we should handle
> our
> sftp dependencies, and I don't know what we should do for jsch that we
> redistribute.  I already tried to get some explanation on the legal list,
> but it just added some confusion.

Ok, so since I have no idea about that either, I suggest we change the fix
version to 2.0. Since it's not really related a release, it isn't that much
a problem. OK?

But we will have to take an action one day or another, so I don't know if
somebody can help in this area. Maybe Ant committers can?

> Concerning IVY-586, IVY-616 (and maybe other maven related issue), I think
> it are show stopper for a 2.0 release that has as major new feature the
> support of the maven2 repository.  Those bugs block the usage of an
> important number of modules in its dependencies.  On of them is xml-apis,
> which is used by a huge number of other modules.  See [2] for a non
> transitive list of user (there is a lot of commons, struts, dom4j, etc...
> that are themself very often used.  Now, does that block a new beta
> release?  I'm not sure.

I agree for blocking issues for 2.0 final, but not for a beta. If we wait
for all outstanding issues to release a beta, then it's more a RC than a
beta. Having some known issues is not a problem in a beta IMO, and our maven
2 support is already pretty good. So I wouldn't mind if those issues aren't
solved for the beta, but it seems they will anyway :-)

> Anyway, I plan to look at IVY-586 before sunday.  I will also have to use
> the second patch provided for IVY-616.  If it is not yet applied, I will
> apply it (by the way, did you know a to apply a patch that has new file in
> it?)

Ok, since Maarten has worked on IVY-616 and other related issues, it would
be good to synchronize. Maarten, maybe you could make sure to commit your
changes today, even if you still have some remaining issues, it will help
Gilles to have a look at IVY-586, and all of us to help in your
investigation to solve the remaining issue if necessary. Do you guys agree
with that?

Xavier

http://xhab.blogspot.com/
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/
http://www.xoocode.org/

Re: Ivy 2.0 beta 1

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 30 Nov 2007, Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:
> IVY-593 is not really related to a releases.

Damn cross-posting, didn't see that mail on dev@ant.

Can we agree to stick to one list now, please (and make that dev@ant
so that we get used to it 8-)

I already volunteered to take care of Ivy when I added the
notification for Ant, I explicitly said I'd do so after Ivy has moved
in svn so I don't need to issue a second notification after the change
;-)

Consider this point taken care of by the beginning of next week, I
should have all the karma and information that is required.

Stefan

Re: Ivy 2.0 beta 1

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Re: Ivy 2.0 beta 1

Posted by Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com>.
IVY-593 is not really related to a releases.  It is somehting we normally
have to do before putting our sources in a public SVN.  For that, we have to

[2] http://mvnrepository.com/artifact/xml-apis/xml-apis/2.0.2<http://mvnrepository.com/artifact/xml-apis/xml-apis/2.0.2>

--
Gilles Scokart