Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com> on 2020/03/05 23:45:58 UTC

[ALC] Discussion about ALC WebSite

Hi,
As you know, it's not a good time to host the f2f meetup due to the
COVID-19. So we are think about write some articles and host an online
meetup to grow the local community.
It's could be more easy for us to cooperate if we have a website for
ALC and ALC city to host the event information and articles.

Here are some rafe thoughts we have during the team meeting[1], please
feel free to add you comments here.

We prefer to use git to manage the content of website,  in this way
others can edit the content by sending PR for it. We could also
leverage the GitPublish mechanism that Apache Infra provide to publish
the website content.

We can post blogs through the website and then publish the content to
"ALC-Beijing" WeChat public account.

[1]https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/COMDEV/ALC+Beijing+Team+meeting

Willem Jiang

Re: Re: [ALC] Discussion about ALC WebSite

Posted by "lgcareer2019@outlook.com" <lg...@outlook.com>.
+1,
I think the content of website may be posted from all people who want to contribute.
It will be friendly way for every developers who can make pr request.

DolphinScheduler(Incubator) PPMC
Gang Li 李岗

lgcareer2019@outlook.com<ma...@outlook.com>

From: Juan Pan
Date: 2020-03-06 10:32
To: dev@community.apache.org
CC: ASF ComDev
Subject: Re: [ALC] Discussion about ALC WebSite
Hi

+1 from me, GitPublish is simple and friendly to display.

Juan Pan (Trista)

Senior DBA & PPMC of Apache ShardingSphere(Incubating)
E-mail: panjuan@apache.org

On 03/6/2020 09:35,Sheng Wu<wu...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Jiansheng

For the workflow, I think ASF has a very easy and traditional workflow.

Use two branches hosting the source and static page, once the source branch
has commits, one CI action will compile and push them to the static page
branch.
At the same time, we set the static page branch for the website. Then we
have all things automatically and all contributors just need to send the
pull requests to the main source branch, like contributing codes.

Sheng Wu 吴晟
Twitter, wusheng1108

适兕 <li...@gmail.com> 于2020年3月6日周五 上午9:05写道:

HI,Willem

Thanks for your email, it's great idea. I am very glad to share
my experience about website and WeChat Public .

'The open source way' (开源之道) has a static html website[1], the technology
stack is : markdown  + hugo[2] + github page , blew is my add new article
process:
1.  write article with markdown format and git push to GitHub remote
repository[3].
2. hugo compiler markdown to HTML. and push to GitHub page
3. go to [1] ,  copy content and paste to WeChat Public account.

yeah, It's just a little complicated.  But for open, it's worth to do and
need to do.

Thanks.

[1] http://opensourceway.community/
[2] https://gohugo.io/
[3] https://github.com/OCselected/ttoos/

On Fri, Mar 6, 2020 at 7:46 AM Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>
wrote:

[...]

Welcome to http://opensourceway.community! The open source way:  Dedicated
to the exploration of ideas, knowledge and values related to open source.

Re: [ALC] Discussion about ALC WebSite

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.
This depends on the ComDev community PMC decision, I think.

Sheng Wu 吴晟
Twitter, wusheng1108

Xiangdong Huang <sa...@gmail.com> 于2020年3月6日周五 上午10:16写道:

Posted by Xiangdong Huang <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jiansheng

Posted by 适兕 <li...@gmail.com>.
HI,Willem

Posted by Aditya Sharma <ad...@apache.org>.
> I think alc.apache.org will be enough. Each chapter can have its own
> subpage like alc.apache.org/beijing :)

+1

Thanks and regards,
Aditya Sharma

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Swapnil M Mane <sw...@apache.org>.
Hello all,
Thank you, Willem, for initiating this discussion and everyone for your inputs.
I have added the summary of discussion and
initiated a formal Vote to conclude the discussion at https://s.apache.org/mp366

We will move further based on the conclusion on vote thread, thank you!

Best regards,
Swapnil M Mane,
www.apache.org

Posted by lidong dai <da...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me

Best Regards
---------------

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.
Tomasz Urbaszek <to...@polidea.com> 于2020年3月7日周六 下午10:05写道:

Posted by Tomasz Urbaszek <to...@polidea.com>.

Posted by 适兕 <li...@gmail.com>.
+1 for the ALC website.

Posted by Aditya Sharma <ad...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com>.
+1. One repo with separate sections /tabs per ALC would be great!

And with the workflow where we can simply make PRs to the common repo is
everything we need. Hugo is certainly the way to go. For Apache Airflow we
also do a lot on Hugo and happy with it.

On Fri, Mar 6, 2020 at 2:33 PM Tomasz Urbaszek <tu...@apache.org> wrote:

> +1 for ALC website! We can have separate sections/tabs for each ALC
> but the whole content like blogs / events can be shared and tagged.
>
> T.
>

> On Fri, Mar 6, 2020 at 1:27 PM Swapnil M Mane <sw...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Willem,
> >
> > On Fri, Mar 6, 2020 at 2:29 PM Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Swapnil
> > >
> > > For the ALC Beijing website, we just want to put some Chinese pages to
> > > introduce ASF and ALC.
> > > Thanks for the inputs. I agree we will have bunch of ALC Chapters, it
> > > could be a nightmare for management if each Chapter has it's own
> > > website.
> > > How about we just put our effort on ALC website?
> > > It could be great that  ALC Chapters to contribute all the contents to
> > > ALC website, we could have a blog section to host these freestyle
> > > articles, and we can also a directory on the website to the ALC
> > > Chapters event there.
> >
> > This seems a great and cleaner approach to me.
> > Let's wait for inputs from other members.
> >

> > > Cheers,
> > >
> > > Willem Jiang
> > >
> > > Twitter: willemjiang
> > > Weibo: 姜宁willem