Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by "David W. Van Couvering" <Da...@Sun.COM> on 2005/10/29 00:34:20 UTC

POLL - Need for shared code

Hi, all.  It is my belief that there is a current need for shared code,
not just future needs.  I'd like to test this belief.

Can those of you who are working on functionality that could use shared
code please send an item to the list describing what it is you want to
do and why you have a need for a shared code infrastructure?

Also, if you have a general opinion that it is important (or not) to
have shared code sooner than later, your views on this would be much
appreciated.

Thanks,

David

Re: POLL - Need for shared code

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.
On Oct 31, 2005, at 12:50 AM, Dyre.Tjeldvoll@Sun.COM wrote:

> Personally I think that sharing common code is an absolute
> requirement, and I cannot understand why anyone would question it.

<applies hat of devil's advocate>

New functionality (in this case, code sharing) should be questioned
if it causes a regression in the behaviour of Derby.

> If sharing code causes problems, then those problems have to be
> addressed somehow.

Better now than later. Better to be thorough than to be incomplete.
Not necessarily in that order. :-)

> I cannot see any linking/versioning problem that would
> justify maintaining multiple copies of the same code, or to maintain
> your own version of external libraries.

That is, unless real world scenarios of Derby use, that currently
work, cease to function because of changes introduced by code sharing.

Working towards a goal of sharing common code, as often as possible,
is a *very* good idea. But, I think it's an idea that should be
applied sparingly, not exceedingly, across the current code base.
Personally, I feel that it would be better to apply the ideals of
code sharing to some new functionality (e.g. full text indexing) than
to try and retrofit the current code to share some particular bit of
existing functionality.

It's not that I believe that the opportunities for sharing code in
the current code base cannot be addressed and understood. I just
think that it may be more productive, at this time, to focus the
efforts of code sharing on some new functionality for which there is
no history against which the principles of code sharing need to fight.

That said, itches are there to be scratched. Clearly, David has found
an itch that is definitely in need of scratching. I encourage him to
scratch it however he sees fit. :-)

andrew

Re: POLL - Need for shared code

Posted by Dy...@Sun.COM.
"David W. Van Couvering" <Da...@Sun.COM> writes:

> Hi, all.  It is my belief that there is a current need for shared code,
> not just future needs.  I'd like to test this belief.
>
> Can those of you who are working on functionality that could use shared
> code please send an item to the list describing what it is you want to
> do and why you have a need for a shared code infrastructure?
>
> Also, if you have a general opinion that it is important (or not) to
> have shared code sooner than later, your views on this would be much
> appreciated.

Personally I think that sharing common code is an absolute
requirement, and I cannot understand why anyone would question it. If
sharing code causes problems, then those problems have to be
addressed somehow. I cannot see any linking/versioning problem that would
justify maintaining multiple copies of the same code, or to maintain
your own version of external libraries.

I'll admit that I don't understand all the issues around multiple
jars, classpaths, multiple apps in a vm and class-loaders, but I do
know from past experience that maintaining online upgradability takes
a lot of developer effort, while it provides only marginal benefit to
users in most cases.

--
dt

Re: POLL - Need for shared code

Posted by Francois Orsini <fr...@gmail.com>.
I would like to share some Security pieces of logic (classes) which are used
by the client and engine during DRDA user network authentication; hence
introducing a new common security package.

--francois

Re: POLL - Need for shared code

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
Hi David,

I would like to add some new datatypes and I would like to share that
datatype handling code between the network client and server. I think
that sharing type codes and interchange formats is less brittle than
cloning this code.

Regards,
-Rick