Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Randall Hauch <rh...@gmail.com> on 2019/02/06 16:27:57 UTC

Re: [Discuss] Question on KIP-298: Error Handling in Kafka Connect

Hi, Pere.

The primary reason that KIP-298 did not support a DLQ for source connectors
was because we couldn't get around serialization problems. With source
connectors, the converter (serializer) is the last element in the chain,
and if there is a problem serializing a record then we could not work out
how to serialize the unserializeable record so it could be written to the
DLQ? Another problem was the inability to write into Kafka, at which point
it's probably likely we cannot write to the DLQ topic, either.

Randall