Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com> on 2011/05/11 13:26:32 UTC

new mailing list for CI output

Hi all,

I'd like to get a mailing list set up to direct to from the CI tasks
that Andrew Kennedy has set up Jenkins/Hudson. After looking through
the mail archives, the ASF naming convention for this type of mailing
list appears to be notifications@ so I propose that we should ask for
just that, notifications@qpid.apache.org.

Unless anyone has particular objection, I intend to raise a request
with infra tomorrow to create the new list.

Robbie

Posted by Keith Wall <ke...@gmail.com>.
Excellent idea.
cheers
Keith.

Re: new mailing list for CI output

Posted by Keith Wall <ke...@wall-uk.org>.
Excellent idea.

Posted by Robert Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.
Sounds like a good plan to me!

Cheers,
Rob

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Andrew Kennedy <an...@gmail.com>.
On 16 May 2011, at 18:55, Alan Conway wrote:
> On 05/16/2011 10:42 AM, Andrew Kennedy wrote:

>>> Looks like the CI hosts are  missing some required packages to build qpid C++. Where do we go to fix that?
>>
>> I investigated, and I'm not sure we'd be able to do this, as we cannot install packages on all the ASF CI servers. It is possible to place files in your home directory on people.apache.org, but I don't think this would work for the build, which expects things in /lib and so forth.
>>

> We can configure the qpid build to use a different install prefix - e.g. in someone's people.apache.com homedir. Maybe that's the way to go.

I hadn't gotten that to work. The list of required packages is on the wiki page I set up, though.

I didn't have any confidence in the idea of building them all from source and reconfiguring everything, and then having it all work exactly the same as if things were installed via the package manager.

I'm happy to provide an EC2 server to do this, as it's much, much easier. I have one configured and running already, as I mentioned before...

Andrew.
--
-- andrew d kennedy ? apache qpid project : http://qpid.apache.org/ ;

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Andrew Kennedy <an...@gmail.com>.
On 16 May 2011, at 15:34, Alan Conway wrote:
> On 05/16/2011 04:45 AM, Robbie Gemmell wrote:
>> The new CI etc mailing list now up and running. It doesn't currently
>> have an archive but we can get that added later if we want, possibly
>> after we get the Jenkins configuration a bit more polished. CI history
>> can still be viewed via Jenkins itself either way:
>> https://builds.apache.org/hudson/view/M-R/view/Qpid/

> Looks like the CI hosts are  missing some required packages to build qpid C++. Where do we go to fix that?

I investigated, and I'm not sure we'd be able to do this, as we cannot install packages on all the ASF CI servers. It is possible to place files in your home directory on people.apache.org, but I don't think this would work for the build, which expects things in /lib and so forth.

I ran a CI instance on Amazon EC2, where I could control the installed packages, and got everything working fine, though. I'm trying to get a DNS name pointed at it, and so on, so everyone else can view the output.

Andrew.
--
-- andrew d kennedy ? apache qpid project : http://qpid.apache.org/ ;

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 10:34 AM, Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 05/16/2011 04:45 AM, Robbie Gemmell wrote:
>>
>> The new CI etc mailing list now up and running. It doesn't currently
>> have an archive but we can get that added later if we want, possibly
>> after we get the Jenkins configuration a bit more polished. CI history
>> can still be viewed via Jenkins itself either way:
>> https://builds.apache.org/hudson/view/M-R/view/Qpid/

> Looks like the CI hosts are  missing some required packages to build qpid
> C++. Where do we go to fix that?

Andrew Kennedy tried to get them on the hudson boxes, but I think it
wasn't possible.
So he has managed to setup a CI instance else where.

I will let him provide more details on it.

Rajith

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Kennedy <an...@gmail.com>.
On 11 May 2011, at 12:26, Robbie Gemmell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to get a mailing list set up to direct to from the CI tasks
> that Andrew Kennedy has set up Jenkins/Hudson. After looking through
> the mail archives, the ASF naming convention for this type of mailing
> list appears to be notifications@ so I propose that we should ask for
> just that, notifications@qpid.apache.org.
>
> Unless anyone has particular objection, I intend to raise a request
> with infra tomorrow to create the new list.

+1, Good idea. I can also redirect the C++ CI output there too.

Andrew.