Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by "Mark D. Hansen" <m....@verizon.net> on 2004/12/01 20:12:58 UTC

SAAJ 1.2 not implemented yet ?!?!

I just wasted a day trying to figure out what was causing a Xalan NPE deep inside my Axis application.  Since I'm casting MessageElements to org.w3c.dom.Element all the time, I am supposing the SAAJ 1.2 is implemented.

After posting for help to the Xalan mail list (and wasting the time of some good people who tried to help me), I decided to take a closer look at what was going on with MessageElement.  Digging into the source code, I find this:

    /**
     * This unimplemented operation is meand to return an attribute as a node
     * @see org.w3c.dom.Element#getAttributeNode(String)
     * @param attrName
     * @return null, always.
     * @todo Fix this for SAAJ 1.2 Implementation. marked as deprecated to warn people
     * it is broken
     * @deprecated this is not implemented
     */
    public Attr getAttributeNode(String attrName) {
        return null;
    }

So SAAJ 1.2 is no longer working!?!  I see that the method is marked as deprecated, but to have saved myself the lost day of work and aggrevation, I would have had to compile the src and actually pay attention to the deprecation warnings.

Of course, I should have read the release-notes.html for RC2, so I go there afterward to see what else I missed.  The only thing about SAAJ that I find is this:

(in bold) "This version has passed the JAX-RPC 1.1 and SAAJ 1.2 TCKs"

I'm sure that is true, but kind of misleading given the state of the getAttributeNode(...) methods in MessageElement.

I hate to flame like this, because I appreciate what a huge amount of work it is to keep Axis moving forward.  Also, I'd like to submit a patch to fix this stuff - but I don't understand the MessageElement class well enough to do that.  So, I guess that I am just frustrated.  I'd like to keep using Axis, but stuff like this is really getting me down.

Re: SAAJ 1.2 not implemented yet ?!?!

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Venkat,

Can you please review the code once more for SAAJ loopholes?

thanks,
dims

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.