Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Joe Ho <jk...@basistech.com> on 2014/02/26 20:55:41 UTC

CollapsingQParserPlugin is slower than standard Solr field grouping in Solr 4.6.1

I notice that in Solr 4.6.1 CollapsingQParserPlugin is slower than standard
Solr field grouping. I have a Solr index of 10000 docs, with a signature
field which is a Solr dedup field of the doc content. Majority of the
signatures are unique.

        <field name="signature" type="string" stored="true" indexed="true"
multiValued="false" />

With standard Solr field grouping,
http://localhost:4462/solr/collection1/select?q=*:*&group.ngroups=true&group=true&group.field=signature&group.main=true&rows=10000&fl=id

I get average QTime 78 after Solr warmed up.

Using CollapsingQParserPlugin,
http://localhost:4462/solr/collection1/select?q=*:*&fq={!collapse%20field=signature}&rows=10000&fl=id

I get average QTime 89.2

In fact CollapsingQParserPlugin QTime is always slower than the standard
Solr field grouping.

How can I get CollapsingQParserPlugin run faster?

Joe

Re: CollapsingQParserPlugin is slower than standard Solr field grouping in Solr 4.6.1

Posted by Joel Bernstein <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Joe,

With 10,000 documents the CollapsingQParserPlugin will likely not have any
performance advantages. The CollapsingQParserPlugin will be faster then
standard grouping when you have a higher number of distinct groups and
large result sets. For the scale you are working at you will be just fine
using standard grouping.

Joel Bernstein
Search Engineer at Heliosearch