Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Dave Johnson <da...@rollerweblogger.org> on 2006/05/04 21:05:17 UTC

Proposal Atlas: updated

I updated the front page proposal, you can find it here:
http://rollerweblogger.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Proposal_Atlas

I made changes to ensure that we're hitting as many of the bullets
from the JIRA issues as possible, to address Allen's comments and to
fill in some missing pieces.

Here's a summary of the changes:
     * New outline at the start of the design section
     * New runtime property for setting front-page blog
     * Mechanism for assigning page models to blogs
     * First weblog created is front page blog
     * getCommentedWeblogs() method, with sinceDays parameter
     * getCommentedWeblogEntries() method, with sinceDays parameter
     * sinceDays arguement to getHotBlogs() and to corresponding macro
     * sinceDays arguement to getRankedBlogs() and to corresponding
macro

Please review and comment. Note that there are still a couple of
missing pieces, mostly regarding URLs, that I'll clear up as the new
URL proposal stabilizes.

- Dave

Re: Proposal Atlas: updated

Posted by Allen Gilliland <al...@sun.com>.
Cool.  I think this proposal is looking really good.  Here's a few more
comments/questions ...

1. for a weblog at the root of the site, are we thinking we only want to
allow for the homepage to work like that?  or all weblog links to work
basically without a <handle>?

2. extending the available feeds for a weblog is tricky, we should talk
about this one more.  i'll start a separate thread.

3. nit pick, but can we use "WeblogPageModel" for the page model given
to standard weblogs, instead of just "PageModel".

4. page model interfaces.  i don't think that we actually need to use
interfaces for each of the page models.  we probably don't plan on
having various implementations of the same page model, so i think it's
fine if the page models are just objects.

5. the process of adding the main page templates to the first blog could
be strange.  what if the user is only ever intending to run 1 blog on
their installation?  in that case we probably would want to give them
the option of a standard theme rather than the main page templates?
maybe the main page templates should be a theme which can be chosen when
the blog is created just like we do now?  maybe it only shows up in the
themes list if the person creating the blog is an admin?  that way
normal users only see the standard list of themes that we have now, but
admins have access to themes for special blogs?

-- Allen