Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Perrin Harkins <pe...@primenet.com> on 2000/08/01 01:20:51 UTC

RE: was Re: template kit..... - now session handling

On Sun, 30 Jul 2000, brian moseley wrote:
> using this vocabulary, i'd like to suggest that jeff's
> module be renamed HTTP::SessionPersistence.

Since it isn't really tied to HTTP or sessions, that would be kind of a
misnomer as well.  Jeff already suggested Persistent::Hash at once point,
but changing namespace on CPAN always confuses some people.  There are
still people who get confused about the original Apache::Session module
that was replaced by Jeff's.

- Perrin

RE: was Re: template kit..... - now session handling

Posted by Perrin Harkins <pe...@primenet.com>.
On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, Jeffrey W. Baker wrote:
> 2) The name change should happen.  However, there is already a
> Persistent:: set of classes, that is somewhat similar to Apache::Session.
> For example, it implements LDAP, MySQL, Oracle, Sybase, mSQL, and File
> storage.  These classes use all object calls
> e.g. $persistent->add_attribute().  So the chief difference seems to be
> the flexibility of the tied interface of Apache::Session (also mine is
> faster :)  So how does Persistent::TiedHash sound?

I was about to say Tie::Persistent, but that's taken too...

Personally I use the object methods, but I think Persistent::TiedHash is
fine.

- Perrin

RE: was Re: template kit..... - now session handling

Posted by "Jeffrey W. Baker" <jw...@acm.org>.
On Mon, 31 Jul 2000, brian moseley wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Jul 2000, Perrin Harkins wrote:
>
> > Since it isn't really tied to HTTP or sessions, that
> > would be kind of a misnomer as well.  Jeff already
> > suggested Persistent::Hash at once point, but changing
> > namespace on CPAN always confuses some people.  There
> > are still people who get confused about the original
> > Apache::Session module that was replaced by Jeff's.
>
> people who get confused by name changes should not be
> catered to.

I wasn't following this thread, because the subject was "template
kit."  Now I shall reply all in one shot.

1) A cookie/token management module will *not* be built into
Apache::Session.  The functionality is orthogonal.  (i.e. Gerald is
right).

2) The name change should happen.  However, there is already a
Persistent:: set of classes, that is somewhat similar to Apache::Session.
For example, it implements LDAP, MySQL, Oracle, Sybase, mSQL, and File
storage.  These classes use all object calls
e.g. $persistent->add_attribute().  So the chief difference seems to be
the flexibility of the tied interface of Apache::Session (also mine is
faster :)  So how does Persistent::TiedHash sound?

3) The Apache::Session name whould be used for a module that actually
manages the interaction between mod_perl and the browser.  The only
problem I can see is that this module would have to start out at 2.0 or
something, to avoid confusing CPAN.  ALternately, it could be called
Apache::SessionManager instead.

-jwb

RE: was Re: template kit..... - now session handling

Posted by brian moseley <bc...@maz.org>.