Posted to doc@openoffice.apache.org by Caroline O'Brien <ca...@gmail.com> on 2013/05/10 02:41:31 UTC

New Doc Volunteer

Hey there!

I'm eager to learn more about working on the Doc Team for Open Office.

Can you tell me a bit more about where I should start, outside of signing
up for the two wikis and putting my name on the volunteer sites?

Thank you!

Caroline

Re: New Doc Volunteer

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
Hello, please read the initial documentation that we have on our site.

http://openoffice.apache.org/orientation/intro-doc.html

This will guide you throught he initial steps into the way the
project is builted and where you can contribute best.

--
Alexandro Colorado
Apache OpenOffice Contributor

Re: New Doc Volunteer

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.
Hy, Caroline! Welcome on board!

2013/5/10 Caroline O'Brien <ca...@gmail.com>

> Hey there!
>
> I'm eager to learn more about working on the Doc Team for Open Office.
>
> Can you tell me a bit more about where I should start, outside of signing
> up for the two wikis and putting my name on the volunteer sites?
>
> Thank you!

Great!

The user documentation is being worked on the wiki, so after you read the
intro-doc page linked by Alexandro, please look at where the draft for the
4.0 user guide is growing:

http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/UserGuide

(there is a link to the "status page" at the end). There are several
missing pages and holes on the existing ones, but an easy start would be to
proofread the existing pages and check the information for "accuracy".

Clearly, writing an user guide implies not only writing skills but also
knowledge of the software: if you have doubts about how Apache OpenOffice
works, just ask!

Note that this guide is aimed to AOO 4.0, so there are instructions on the
guide that do not completely correspond to the stable builds (like "menu
Tools → Options → Apache OpenOffice": on 3.4.1 you'll find "OpenOffice.org"
there). You can find development builds for 4.0 here:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Development+Snapshot+Builds#DevelopmentSnapshotBuilds-AOOSnapshotfullsets

Regards
Ricardo