Posted to dev@beehive.apache.org by Eddie O'Neil <ek...@bea.com> on 2004/10/20 07:01:33 UTC

[Fwd: svn commit: rev 55118 - in incubator/beehive/trunk/samples: . petstoreWeb petstoreWeb/WEB-INF petstoreWeb/WEB-INF/lib petstoreWeb/WEB-INF/src petstoreWeb/WEB-INF/src/org petstoreWeb/WEB-INF/src/org/apache petstoreWeb/WEB-INF/src/org/apache/beehive petstoreWeb/WEB-INF/src/org/apache/beehive/samples petstoreWeb/WEB-INF/src/org/apache/beehive/samples/petstore petstoreWeb/WEB-INF/src/org/apache/beehive/samples/petstore/controller petstoreWeb/WEB-INF/src/org/apache/beehive/samples/petstore/controls petstoreWeb/WEB-INF/src/org/apache/beehive/samples/petstore/controls/exceptions petstoreWeb/WEB-INF/src/org/apache/beehive/samples/petstore/controls/internal petstoreWeb/WEB-INF/src/org/apache/beehive/samples/petstore/forms petstoreWeb/WEB-INF/src/org/apache/beehive/samples/petstore/model petstoreWeb/WEB-INF/src/org/apache/beehive/samples/petstore/model/ws petstoreWeb/WEB-INF/src/org/apache/beehive/samples/petstore/resources petstoreWeb/WEB-INF/tags petstoreWeb/WEB-INF/tags/be! ehive petstoreWeb/WEB-INF/tags/beehive/petstore petstoreWeb/account petstoreWeb/account/create petstoreWeb/account/edit petstoreWeb/auth petstoreWeb/checkout petstoreWeb/images petstoreWeb/search petstoreWeb/shop petstoreWeb/site]

All--

   Below is the change log for the initial checkin of a Beehive
petstore-style application.

   Tomorrow, I'll add a TODO list and additional comments on building /
deploying / running.

   In the meantime, here's a primer.  It's currently set-up to run
against a dev build; to do this, start Tomcat and run:

cd $BEEHIVE_HOME/samples/petstoreWeb/WEB-INF/src
ant -f petstore-build.xml undeploy build deploy

This should remove any petstoreWeb/ context from Tomcat, build the
sample, and deploy it to the running Tomcat instance.  One of the next
tasks should probably be getting this building against the distribution.

   The sample is a good start but isn't done by any stretch; there are a
few notable issues:

- the images of pets and opening image map are missing.  This is a known
issue; the original provider of the artwork of the pets and splash
screen wasn't able to license the images to ASF, so they couldn't be
checked into Apache SVN.  Until images showup, they will appear as
either broken links or will simply be missing.  If anyone has a
photogenic lizard, snake, dog, cat, or fish and knows Photoshop, we
could use some images assuming you can format them to be the correct
size / transparency.  <g>
- the isn't integrated with webapp security yet.  Right now, login is
totally faked out and uses a "beehive" / "beehive" username / password.

There are also a bunch of things that could be done with the app including:

- using XMLBeans to transfer the catalog data.  I've started this
locally and just haven't quite finished it.
- cleaning the JPFs to follow more best practices.  For example, the
forms exposed to the JSPs right now don't wrap the model objects well.
This is just rework from the app from its original form which hasn't
happened yet.
- fixup of the account edit / create JPFs to be more wizard-like
- use of JPF declarative validation
- filling out the controls.  There is a service layer that provides
access to account, catalog, and order information, and these currently
use a *very* naive in-memory object store (a Map).  Would be great to
get this integrated with the DatabaseControl / Derby and have real reads
/ transacted updates going on.  Just helps to make the app appear more real.

   There is also a petstore.jws that wraps some of the business controls
and shows their data presented through an Axis web service.

   I'd like to use Jira to track any issues that are identified and also
to track enhancements so it's easier to see who's working on what.

   Another point -- this is currently checked into the trunk/.  I know
that some of you run on limited bandwidth connections, so we can talk
about moving this out of the trunk/ and into a parallel samples/
directory, though it seems easier to version the samples along with a
version of the runtime if we branch -- for ApacheCon, for example.

   One thing's for sure -- there's lots of room to grow the app.  So,
feel free to ask questions and make suggestions!

   <g>

Eddie