Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com> on 2014/04/28 14:58:54 UTC

OFBIZ-5473 Expense Declaration

Hi All,

Today we implemented the first release of an application expressing our
viewpoint on how to do (travel) expense reporting with OFBiz in our demo
environment.

With this (reference) app users can register new expense reports and
declare expenses for travel, daily allowances, etc. The user can also
generate a pdf of the expense report.

*Creating a new expense report*
Based on the setting of the application area (type) of the expense report,
the user can select the appropriate application from a drop-down which will
automatically determine the approver. In our demo setup this can be seen
with application area 'project' and project 'Implement new affiliate site',
or with marketing campains.

*Adding expenses to a report*
The user can add new expense items to a report (with status 'not ready for
review'). Based on configuration aspects of the selected expense product
fields for quantity, price, tax will be shown.

You can have a look at https://online.orrtiz.com/essterr/control/main and
login with:

userId: *Traveler*

password: *orrtiz*

tenantId: *4proserve*

We invite you to have a look and review our approach and discuss
requirements and wishes on the issue created for this
(OFBIZ-5473<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-5473>
).

Should you have any questions and/or remarks feel free to ask and/or
comment on the issue itself, here or via an email directly to me.

Regards,

Pierre Smits

*ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>*
Services & Solutions for Cloud-
Based Manufacturing, Professional
Services and Retail & Trade
http://www.orrtiz.com

Re: OFBIZ-5473 Expense Declaration

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,

We have updated our first evolution of our demo application regarding
(travel) expense reporting.

In this update we included an exchange rate conversion for expense items
with a currency that differs from the reporting currency. Now expense items
show the converted (cost) amount (also for vat) when:

   - there is an exchange rate for the foreign currency
   - the expense item has a date (conversion takes place against the
   expense date)

Of course amounts must be present.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Youssef,

Thank you for the feedback. It is much appreciated.

*Re: stack trace error on PDF generation*
This occurs when no reviewer has been associated with the expense report.
We also have identified this issue and are working on the solution.

*Re: item date out of range of report from-tru range*
Indeed, currently there are no limitations regarding this aspect.

*Re: edit button does not allow modifying an item*
We are working on this quirkyness when editing shortly after viewing the
details of an expense item of a expense report.

*Re: spend limits and approval limits*
Indeed, in complex organisations (multiple departments, levels) there often
is a need for extensive business rules regarding spend and approval limits
based on the role, position and other aspects of the user. In such a
scenario (also considering the multitude of internal organisational
changes) hooking up BRM and a BREE would be favourable.

Again, thank you for the feedback,

Posted by Youssef Khaye <y....@unionsmarket.com>.
it seems to be an interesting feature.
meanwhile,

the pdf contains some exception stack trace.
item date may be out of the report from-thru interval.
edit button does not allow modifying an item.

in some case company may have rules limiting expense with maximum amount
(per expense type),
you may include this feature in the futre evolutions.

good works continue

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Javier,

Thank you for your feedback. See my comments inline below.

On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 7:51 PM, Javier Belo <ja...@outlook.com> wrote:

> Hi Pierre, I have had a look and it is nice. I have found that it is
> possible
> to submit an expense item out of the expense report date range from-to.

That is correct. In current evolution no validation is in place regarding
this and other aspects. We have identified this issue also.

> Also, I think there was already some comment about that, there is not
> option
> to attach the original bill. Although it has legal consequences to be
> reviewed in my experience the department in charge of expenses management
> some times need this information to accelerate the  reimbursement
>  specially
> in highly decentralized organisations.

Ho do you see that happening, this attaching of the original receipt to a
virtual representation of the expense report? What can be done is uploading
a scanned facsimile of the original. And while companies require this to
speed up cost allocation and reimbursement, in some countries this is not
acceptable with regards to fiscal aspects of the expenses.

But in current evolution of our app it is not included. And it will not be
in the next, as we will concentrate on the accounting transactions
regarding the cost and debt resulting from the expense report.

Furthermore, while current feature set of the content component might prove
sufficient for some we find it not up to parr with other solutions
available (see my comments earlier in this thread). Especially with regards
to multi-tenancy we find it not meeting our needs and wants.

> How will be managed an expense including different items like a hotel
> invoice where the room service, laundry service, wifi connection and the
> room for 4 days are included? Will be possible to split it in some way?

Given that in most countries the aspects you mentioned fall under different
fiscal regimes you need register the various expense items. Current
evolution supports that. You just register the expenseReportId and the
expenseItemId on the hotel invoice for each expense type/item.

Re: OFBIZ-5473 Expense Declaration

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sharan, All,

We have quick-fixed the quirks regarding viewing and editing the expense
item of an expense report. We also fixed the errors occuring when
generating the PDF of the Expense Report.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sharan, All,

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Mike,

This reference app has been built against trunk, so it should work with
13.07. It has not (yet) been tested against 12.04.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Vijay,

Thank you for your reaction. Though definitely travel expenses also occur
in the transportation section I would appreciate it if you would not hijack
this or any other thread in this community to push your own wants and needs.

Please contact me directly and we can discuss your requirements and
conditions in detail.

Posted by Vijay Krishnamurthy <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Why don't some one work for Transport Management module?
It will be good fame and name for you guys...
Check Sugar CRM and Open ERP for more about this module/application...

Driver, Vehicle, Staff, Rent/Lease, Advance, Tax...etc Report Generation
with Payments, Invoices, Salaries, Expenditures..etc
It will be a good to see all these in your application.

Thank You all...

Regards,
Vijay

Posted by Mike <mz...@gmail.com>.