Posted to docs-dev@perl.apache.org by Jack Carroll <ja...@jackcarroll.com> on 2002/07/23 19:43:45 UTC

missing link

RE: http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide//

The links to "What is mod_perl?" and "Getting Help" are broken.
--
Jack Carroll

jack@jackcarroll.com

Re: missing link

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Stas Bekman wrote:
> Jack Carroll wrote:
>
>> RE: http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide//
>>
>> The links to "What is mod_perl?" and "Getting Help" are broken.
>

> Thanks Jack,
>
> this has happened after apache.org has been upgraded to the recent
> httpd, which seems to have a buggy mod_rewrite. For now, please remove
> the extra / and it'll be fine. I'll communicate the problem to those in
> charge.

This now has been fixed by Brian Behlendorf.

Re: missing link

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

Re: mirroring

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Randy Kobes wrote:
> Hi,
>   I set up a mirror site of modperl-docs at
>      http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/modperl/
> It was pretty straightforward to do, even getting
> the local search to work - nicely designed! I've
> appended below a bit of a how-to on setting up a mirror,
> in case anyone wants to try.

Great work Randy! Per Einar, am I right that you've started some notes
as well some time ago?

it seems that mirrors are inevitable ;) where should the "mirror setup"
doc go? where should the "mirrors" listing go?

Re: mirroring

Posted by "Jonathan M. Hollin" <ne...@digital-word.com>.
Randy Kobes wrote:

>   I set up a mirror site of modperl-docs at
>      http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/modperl/
> It was pretty straightforward to do, even getting
> the local search to work - nicely designed! I've
> appended below a bit of a how-to on setting up a mirror,
> in case anyone wants to try.

Great job Randy.  I have tested the mirror and everything works
perfectly.  Good proof of concept and great documentation.

Well done.

--
Jonathan M. Hollin

Technical Director:  Digital-Word Co. (http://digital-word.com/)
Co-ordinator:  WYPUG (http://wypug.pm.org/)

mirroring

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.
Hi,
  I set up a mirror site of modperl-docs at
     http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/modperl/
It was pretty straightforward to do, even getting
the local search to work - nicely designed! I've
appended below a bit of a how-to on setting up a mirror,
in case anyone wants to try.

best regards,
randy

=head1 NAME

mirror - mirroring the mod_perl site

=head1 PREREQUISITES

=over 3

=item * Perl

=item * a cvs client

=item * swish-e (version 2.1-dev), from http://www.swish-e.org/

=back

=head1 DESCRIPTION

Mirroring the mod_perl site starts off by obtaining the
sources from C<cvs>; this may be done as

 % cd /usr/local/src
 % cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@cvs.apache.org:/home/cvspublic login
 % cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@cvs.apache.org:/home/cvspublic co modperl-docs

which will place the sources under F</usr/local/src/modperl-docs>.
Next, decide the URL underneath which you wish modperl
documents to appear on your site. For example, if we wished access
to be under http://your.server/modperl/, then we could use
the following directives in F<httpd.conf>:

  Alias /modperl/ "/usr/local/src/modperl-docs/dst_html/"
  <Directory "/usr/local/src/modperl-docs/dst_html">
     Options Indexes MultiViews
     AllowOverride None
     Order allow,deny
     Allow from all
  </Directory>
  <Directory "/usr/local/src/modperl-docs/dst_html/search>
     SetEnv SWISH_BINARY_PATH "/usr/local/bin/swish-e"
     SetEnv PERL5LIB "/usr/local/src/modperl-docs/dst_html/search/modules"
     Options +ExecCGI
     AddHandler cgi-script cgi
  </Directory>

Here, I<SWISH_BINARY_PATH> is the path to your swish-e binary.
You can then build the document set by (this could also be
used as a shell script to be run under cron to keep your site current):

  % cd /usr/local/src/modperl-docs
  % cvs -z9 up -dR
  % export MODPERL_SITE='http://your.server/modperl'
  % export SWISH_BINARY_PATH='/usr/local/bin/swish-e'
  % bin/build
  % bin/makeindex

Use the command appropriate for your shell in setting
the I<MODPERL_SITE> and I<SWISH_BINARY_PATH> environment
variables. You may see some errors from C<bin/build> about missing
Perl modules; these are available from CPAN. As well, if
your perl binary is not at F</usr/local/bin/perl>, you should
create the appropriate symbolic link.

The swish-e index files are built using a spidering program
which indexes the pages under what you set for I<MODPERL_SITE>.
A subtelty in this is present if there exists any links to your
site within the modperl documents, as the spidering
program will then start to follow these links. This can be
prevented by creating a temporary F<robots.txt> under
your I<DocumentRoot> which excludes these links outside
of your I<MODPERL_SITE>. The progress of the spidering
program can be monitored in your server's access log.

If all goes well, you should then create a shell script
to be run daily via cron to keep your site current - only the pages
changed since the last run will be regenerated.

=cut