Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Gary Ashley <st...@3rdMillenniumVisions.com> on 2003/02/24 14:50:22 UTC

RC1 release and Commons Logging 1.0.2

If I understand the issue correctly, I believe that both Struts beta3
and RC1 are dependent upon a non release version of the Commons Logging
API (something later than 1.0.2).  If I am incorrect, I sincerely
apologize and ask that you ignore the rest of my email.

Otherwise, I'd ask that an important criteria in posting future releases
be considered.  There should not be any dependencies upon nightly
builds.  Two of my customers will not allow me to use nightly builds for
fear of bugs, and this prevents me from using either beta3 or RC1.  This
comment on the struts website does not help my dilemma any:

    "Nightly Builds are those that are very unstable (a.k.a. dynamite!).
We have no confidence in them. They are for developers who are helping
to develop the technology and want "the latest bits." Use at your own
risk!"

Please take these kinds of issues into consideration in the future.

Another consideration to help those who are not "in the loop", would be
to post the versions of dependent APis that were used to run the tests
in the release notes.

Thank you for the consideration!

Sincerely,

A fan.

Gary D Ashley Jr.

Chief Technology Officer,
3rd Millennium Visions, Inc.

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."
	- Thomas Jefferson

Re: RC1 release and Commons Logging 1.0.2

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
As others have mentioned, Struts 1.1 Final will include only released
versions of its dependencies, while the beta and release candidate builds
include intermediate versions.

One thing I'd like to add, though, is that, while the versions of
dependencies included in RC1 are not released, they also do not fall into
the category of "we have no confidence in them". (In fact, I take issue with
that statement, and will therefore change it!) The most laborious part of
getting any Struts release out the door isn't tagging the tree and building
the distributions - that's the easiest part. The laborious part is testing
it.

Prior to uploading the RC1 distributions, I ran the JUnit unit tests and the
Cactus unit tests against Tomcat 4.1.18, 4.0.6 and 3.3.1. I also ran each of
the 8 webapps that come with Struts on Tomcat 4.1.18 and Resin 2.1.6, and
some of them on Tomcat 4.0.6 and 3.3.1. So I, at least, have a much greater
degree of confidence in the builds of Commons components that are included
in the Struts RC1 release.

Now it's up to the rest of the Struts community to tell us where the
problems are. ;-)

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
IMHO, this is the better forum for this discussion, since it's about the
dependencies we choose to use when *developing* Struts. From a pure user
viewpoint, these are "blackbox" developer decisions that do not affect
their ability to simply plunk our JARs down.

-Ted.

Robert Leland wrote:

> I am moving this over to the struts-user list
> where it belongs.

Ted Husted,

Re: RC1 release and Commons Logging 1.0.2

Posted by Robert Leland <rl...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robert Leland <rl...@apache.org>.

Gary Ashley wrote:
> Robert Leland wrote:
>

>>The standard has always been that the Struts 1.1 release will depend on
>

>>released version of the commons-xxxxx.jar's.
>

>>The RC1 and others depend on the nightly builds of commons-xxx because
>>they almost always fix more bugs than they create. What --released--
>>version of commons-xxx.jar's we use will likely be taken on a case by
>>case basis. I know that beanutils & digester have reciently had a new
>>release, and that Martin has released the first version of
>>commons-fileupload.
>

>>We always welcome contributions to the code base, especially unit
>
> tests.
>
> My inability to contribute at this time is the exact reason that I
> hesitated to send my email in the first place.  I very much appreciate
> all the hard work and dedication that developers like you provide to
> developers like me.  I apologize if you found it offensive.

None was taken.

>>If you are not satified with their quality then contribute, that is
>>what open source is all about.
>

> I had thought that ideas were considered contributions as well, and did
> not intend my question to be derogatory or

Didn't take it that way.

> implying dissatisfaction.

Are you sure ? The confusion about what is a release and what isn't
is certainly a --valid-- reason to  be dissatified about.

> I merely hoped to point out that statements on the Struts website
> concerning nightly builds coupled with 2 consecutive releases of Struts
> depending on Logging nightly builds was confusing to those not in the
> inner circle.  I had hoped that my feedback would help improve the
> process for others in the future and be taken into consideration by the
> inner circle.

The aren't very clean on this point, and could be a little clearer.
I don't consider Struts 1.1 b1, 1.1b2, 1.1b3 or 1.1RC1 a true release.
Struts 1.0 is the only official release.
That is why the last version of struts 1.1RC1 is a 'release canidate'.

Posted by Gary Ashley <st...@3rdMillenniumVisions.com>.
Robert Leland wrote:

>The standard has always been that the Struts 1.1 release will depend on

>released version of the commons-xxxxx.jar's.

>The RC1 and others depend on the nightly builds of commons-xxx because
>they almost always fix more bugs than they create. What --released--
>version of commons-xxx.jar's we use will likely be taken on a case by
>case basis. I know that beanutils & digester have reciently had a new
>release, and that Martin has released the first version of
>commons-fileupload.

>We always welcome contributions to the code base, especially unit
tests.

My inability to contribute at this time is the exact reason that I
hesitated to send my email in the first place.  I very much appreciate
all the hard work and dedication that developers like you provide to
developers like me.  I apologize if you found it offensive.

>If you are not satified with their quality then contribute, that is
>what open source is all about.

I had thought that ideas were considered contributions as well, and did
not intend my question to be derogatory or implying dissatisfaction.  I

Posted by Robert Leland <rl...@apache.org>.
Gary Ashley wrote:
> Otherwise, I'd ask that an important criteria in posting future releases
> be considered.  There should not be any dependencies upon nightly
> builds.  Two of my customers will not allow me to use nightly builds for
> fear of bugs, and this prevents me from using either beta3 or RC1.  This
> comment on the struts website does not help my dilemma any:

The standard has always been that the Struts 1.1 release will depend on
released version of the commons-xxxxx.jar's.

The RC1 and others depend on the nightly builds of commons-xxx because
they almost always fix more bugs than they create. What --released--
version of commons-xxx.jar's we use will likely be taken on a case by
case basis. I know that beanutils & digester have reciently had a new
release, and that Martin has released the first version of
commons-fileupload.

We always welcome contributions to the code base, especially unit tests.
If you are not satified with their quality then contribute, that is
what open source is all about.

-Rob

Re: RC1 release and Commons Logging 1.0.2

Posted by Robert Leland <rl...@apache.org>.