Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jim Sheldon <ji...@gmail.com> on 2008/05/08 15:49:18 UTC

application mime types and auto-props on moves

Greetings!

I have a two part question related to mime types and auto-props.

The first came about when a co-worker tried to set an auto-props
mime-type in his config file for xslt files.  Standards suggest using
application/xml as the mime type for xslt.  However, subversion treats
anything with application/* as a mime type as a binary file.  Is there
any way to override this behavior?

We also realized that when performing an 'svn move' on a file, the
auto-props magic doesn't occur.  Since subversion is essentially doing
a 'delete' and an 'add', shouldn't this be able to handle automatic
setting of properties like any 'add' or 'import'?

Thanks for any help.

Jim

Re: application mime types and auto-props on moves

Posted by Jim Sheldon <ji...@gmail.com>.
>> However, subversion treats
>> anything with application/* as a mime type as a binary file.  Is there
>> any way to override this behavior?
>
> No.  There was a long discussion on dev@, but nothing every became of it,
> due to lack of agreement on design if I recall.  Pick a textual mime-type
> and it will work as you want it to.
>

>> We also realized that when performing an 'svn move' on a file, the
>> auto-props magic doesn't occur.  Since subversion is essentially doing
>> a 'delete' and an 'add', shouldn't this be able to handle automatic
>> setting of properties like any 'add' or 'import'?
>
> No, 'svn move' is delete and add-with-history, so the auto-props never kick
> in (nor would you want them to).  Subversion has to copy the old object
> completely or it would defeat the purpose of add-with-history.

I appreciate the perspective on this.  Now I have a better
understanding of the rationale behind the functionality.

Re: application mime types and auto-props on moves

Posted by John Peacock <jo...@havurah-software.org>.
Jim Sheldon wrote:
> However, subversion treats
> anything with application/* as a mime type as a binary file.  Is there
> any way to override this behavior?

No.  There was a long discussion on dev@, but nothing every became of
it, due to lack of agreement on design if I recall.  Pick a textual
mime-type and it will work as you want it to.

> We also realized that when performing an 'svn move' on a file, the
> auto-props magic doesn't occur.  Since subversion is essentially doing
> a 'delete' and an 'add', shouldn't this be able to handle automatic
> setting of properties like any 'add' or 'import'?

No, 'svn move' is delete and add-with-history, so the auto-props never
kick in (nor would you want them to).  Subversion has to copy the old
object completely or it would defeat the purpose of add-with-history.

John

Re: application mime types and auto-props on moves

Posted by Henrik Sundberg <st...@gmail.com>.
2008/5/8 Jim Sheldon <ji...@gmail.com>:
> Greetings!
>
> I have a two part question related to mime types and auto-props.
>
> The first came about when a co-worker tried to set an auto-props
> mime-type in his config file for xslt files.  Standards suggest using
> application/xml as the mime type for xslt.  However, subversion treats
> anything with application/* as a mime type as a binary file.  Is there
> any way to override this behavior?

Have you tried setting the svn:eol-style property?

> We also realized that when performing an 'svn move' on a file, the
> auto-props magic doesn't occur.  Since subversion is essentially doing
> a 'delete' and an 'add', shouldn't this be able to handle automatic
> setting of properties like any 'add' or 'import'?

That would not be good (IMO). It would revert your non-auto properties.

/$