Posted to dev@sis.apache.org by Martin Desruisseaux <de...@apache.org> on 2020/08/11 08:41:32 UTC

Choosing a website technology

Hello all

We need to move the http://sis.apache.org/ web site to a new technology.
Options cited by ASF infra are:

  * Jekyll
  * Pelican and Buildbot
  * GitHub Pages
  * Jenkins builder
  * jbake, a Java based, open source, static site/blog generator
  * Hugo, a static-site generator
  * Other (above list is not exclusive)

I have no preference since I have very few knowledge in website design.
Is there any preference or recommendation from peoples in this list? If
none, I would be inclined to go with Pelican because it seems similar to
current CMS.

More information are there:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/Migrate+your+project+website+from+the+Apache+CMS

     Martin

Re: Choosing a website technology

Posted by "Bruno P. Kinoshita" <ki...@apache.org>.
Hi Martin,

I maintain several Jekyll sites. It's by far the easiest to find resources for deploying on GitHub Pages. It shouldn't be too different from deploying on ASF new CMS infra. Whoever wants to test it locally, needs to install Ruby. Or you can deploy to your own fork using GitHub Pages.

For OpenNLP they chose JBake. I helped a bit with the migration, and remember struggling a bit, but it wasn't too bad. It was a bit different than Jekyll, but being able to use Maven was helpful. To run locally you need Java and Maven only.

Jena has moved to Hugo some months ago, before the CMS switch at ASF. The syntax and how to run are different from Jekyll and OpenNLP. I wasn't involved in the migration, but edited some pages, and was able to write docs without having to google anything. Just looked at the `README` in the project for instructions how to build, and looked at other pages for reference. Hugo was so far the fastest to build and run (Jekyll can be really fast if you use few/no plug-ins and have simple layouts).

Other than that I heard some friends using Pelican I think. And I used PieCrust (small Python static site generator) before.

I would suggest Jekyll or Hugo. Happy to help in the next days/weeks as I have some spare time too.

Cheers
Bruno