Posted to j-users@xalan.apache.org by Jeff Smith <je...@centralscheduling.net> on 2003/03/16 23:27:43 UTC

[Q] Transforming XML DOM for use in Struts

I've got a struts application that generates an XML file dynamically from a
database. I have a standard XSL transformation that I apply to it to
generate an HTML block to be displayed in my web page. (Note: the HTML is
just fragment - tables and such - not a full HTML file)

I'm having trouble figuring out how to get the HTML block into the JSP file.

I've tried serializing the DOMResult to a string and placing that string
into the session scope, but when I render the string (using <bean: write>)
it converts all the '<' characters into HTML-safe "&lt;"

Can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong and whether there might be a better
way to accomplish this?

I've looked at using x-tags, but they seem to deal with files and remote
urls, rather than in-memory representations of the DOM. Since I'm creating
the XML at run-time, I don't really want to bite the overhead of writing
them out to files just so that x-tags can see them.

Any help greatly appreciated,
Jefficus