Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Philip Aston <pa...@bea.com> on 2000/06/16 09:30:24 UTC

Cocoon 1.7.4. vs BEA WebLogic Server

I've been playing with using Cocoon 1.7.4 in conjunction with BEA
WebLogic Server 5.1. (Stefano and folks, feel free to add any or all
of this to the installation guide. You might also like to add a
success report for MS NT 4.0 SP4, BEA WebLogic Server 5.1 SP3, JDK
1.2.2.)

WLS 5.1 implements Servlet 2.2. so it plugs in easily. Here's a quick
recipe:
 - Add the xerces, xalan, fop, servlet, and cocoon JAR files (from the
   distribution) to your CLASSPATH. (See below). If you're using Java
   2, you should also add the tools.jar file from the JDK distribution
   to your CLASSPATH.
 - Create a new subdirectory tree of your WLS run time directory
   "cocoonwar/WEB-INF" and copy the default web.xml file (from the
   src directory of the distribution) there.
 - Copy the cocoon.properties from the conf directory of the
   distribution to cocoonwar/WEB-INF and updated the web.xml file to
   refer to it.
 - Copy the samples directory from the distribution to cocoonwar
 - Map the web application into the WLS URI name space by adding the
   following line to your weblogic.properties file:
	     weblogic.httpd.webApp.cocoon=cocoonwar

Start WLS, point your browser at
"http://localhost:7001/cocoon/samples/index.xml" and away you go.

Classpaths and XSP:

  To support hot deployment of EJB's and Servlets, WebLogic Server
  uses its own class loader with its own classpath (the "WebLogic
  classpath"). Normally you'd put all the WebLogic Server container
  code, JDBC drivers, etc. in your Java CLASSPATH (so that WebLogic
  Server can start up) and add all your application code (stuff that
  needs to be able to be redeployable) to the WebLogic classpath.

  Cocoon is effectively "container" code, and the XSP processor uses
  dynamic classloading which only understands the Java CLASSPATH, so
  you should put all of the Cocoon jars in CLASSPATH.

  The big problem with this is that you can't use any code that loads
  from the WebLogic classpath within XSP's. This includes all of the
  WebLogic API, so is a PITA. To overcome this, either the way Cocoon
  loads classes needs to be modified (Stefano, is this easy?), or the
  WebLogic Server class loader needs to be disabled (in which case you
  have to be willing to live without hot redeployment).

  To disable the WebLogic class loader, put your application classes,
  the Cocoon jars and _all_ of the WebLogic Server stuff into the Java
  CLASSPATH add -Dweblogic.system.disableWeblogicClassPath=true to the
  Java command at the end of you WebLogic start script.

- Phil

This is not an official BEA response. Please do not send me unrelated
WebLogic support questions - I am unable to answer them. Instead
please use the BEA developer newsgroups - see
http://developer.bea.com, or contact BEA support.

Philip Aston - Senior Consultant
BEA Professional Services (Northern Europe)

Re: Cocoon 1.7.4. vs BEA WebLogic Server

Posted by Russell Castagnaro <ru...@synctank.com>.
I second that!

Kevin Yancy wrote:

> [...]
> >
> >   The big problem with this is that you can't use any code that loads
> >   from the WebLogic classpath within XSP's. This includes all of the
> >   WebLogic API, so is a PITA. To overcome this, either the way Cocoon
> >   loads classes needs to be modified (Stefano, is this easy?), or the
> >   WebLogic Server class loader needs to be disabled (in which case you
> >   have to be willing to live without hot redeployment).
> >
> >   To disable the WebLogic class loader, put your application classes,
> >   the Cocoon jars and _all_ of the WebLogic Server stuff into the Java
> >   CLASSPATH add -Dweblogic.system.disableWeblogicClassPath=true to the
> >   Java command at the end of you WebLogic start script.
> >
> > - Phil
> >
> > This is not an official BEA response. Please do not send me unrelated
> > WebLogic support questions - I am unable to answer them. Instead
> > please use the BEA developer newsgroups - see

Hope to see you at my presentation, "Making the Most of XML, XSL and Server-Side
Processing"
at XML DevCon 2000, June 25-28, 2000.

Russell Castagnaro
Chief Mentor
SyncTank Solutions
http://www.synctank.com

Earth is the cradle of mankind; one does not remain in the cradle forever
-Tsiolkovsky

Re: (STEPHANO PLEASE READ THIS) RE: Cocoon 1.7.4. vs BEA WebLogic Server

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Pat Laplante wrote:

> Spiacente!

Nessun problema :)

I just have to remind people about this or pretty soon nobody will write
it right...

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

RE: (STEPHANO PLEASE READ THIS) RE: Cocoon 1.7.4. vs BEA WebLogic Server

Posted by Pat Laplante <pl...@vanteon.com>.
Spiacente!

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
My name is "Stefano" BTW...

Posted by Kevin Yancy <ky...@geobot.com>.
Hi Phillip

Posted by Russell Castagnaro <ru...@synctank.com>.
FYI-
This configuration doesn't support hot deploying EJB's or XSP as far as I can
tell.
-rrc

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Philip Aston wrote:

> I've been playing with using Cocoon 1.7.4 in conjunction with BEA
> WebLogic Server 5.1. (Stefano and folks, feel free to add any or all
> of this to the installation guide. You might also like to add a
> success report for MS NT 4.0 SP4, BEA WebLogic Server 5.1 SP3, JDK
> 1.2.2.)

Will do, thanks.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Philip Aston wrote:

> Thanks to whoever added my WebLogic Server 5.1 HOWTO to
> http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/install.html.
>
> Unfortunately, the page now contains two sections labelled "Installing
> Cocoon on BEA WebLogic". To be correct, the first section should be
> titled "Installing Cocoon on BEA WebLogic Server 4.5.1", and the
> second section "Installing Cocoon on BEA WebLogic Server 5.1".
>
> You might also like to add the following note to the end of the second
> section:
>
>  "The above will also work for installing Cocoon in the BEA WebLogic
>  Enterprise 5.1 J-Engine."
>
> Thanks,

Will do right away, thanks.