Posted to users@jena.apache.org by Cédric Viaccoz <Ce...@unige.ch> on 2022/02/10 16:58:59 UTC

[TDB2 & Fuseki 4.4.0] Huge tdb2 database disk size when performing incremental SPARQL update to endpoint.

Hello everyone,

I deploy a data treatment pipeline at the University of Geneva where a linked data platform, Fedora Commons Repository (https://duraspace.org/fedora/) database is loaded with researchers' data, and then its RDF metadata is synchronized/uploaded to a fuseki triplestore. The synchronization tool I use is the fcrepo-indexing-triplestore messaging application from the fcrepo-camel-toolbox (https://github.com/fcrepo-exts/fcrepo-camel-toolbox), basically an Apache Camel application designed to synchronize Fedora with an external triplestore.
Since, as far as I know, the latest fuseki (4.4.0) no longer supports TDB1, I opted to migrate all the projects' data to TDB2, meaning synchronizing the whole of the data from Fedora to Fuseki, this time making the camel app pointing to TDB2 based endpoints.

However, I noticed that the data volume as it is stored in fuseki in the "<FUSEKI_BASE>/databases" folder increased drastically in TDB2 compared to TDB1. For instance, a dataset which used to occupy 74Mb of data on TDB1 now weighs more than 11Gb! After some investigation I hypothesized that incremental insertion of triples in TDB2 endpoint create bigger disk footprint than a single batch load (where as in TDB1 both loading strategy leads to the same disk footprint).

It is quite tiresome to replicate my precise use case, because it requires deploying a Fedora repository and a camel application, so instead I included to this mail a zip containing a small sample of our data as a turtle file and a python script that "emulates" the behavior of the data synchronization between fedora and fuseki. If you create a persistent TDB2 dataset on your local fuseki listening on localhost port 3030, and name this dataset "gypso", then running the Python script "triplestore_incremental_update.py" will, for each single triple from the "gypso.ttl" file, send an INSERT DATA {} sparql query to the fuseki gypso/update endpoint. Please note that the phython script uses the package rdflib, so installing it through "pip install rdflib" previously might be necessary. On my Debian server, the resulting size of the database (can be checked  by the linux command "du -h <FUSEKI_BASE>/databases/gypso/Data-001") was 50Mb, whereas directly uploading the "gypso.ttl" file to then endpoint results in a size of only 538Kb even though the data and query performance is identical after either loading strategy.

I know that as a workaround I could serialize all the data from our infrastructure into compact turtle files and then directly uploads them to TDB2 endpoints, but the data on Fedora side gets updated regularly, so having the camel application taking care of doing automatic synchronization is necessary, besides this was not an issue at all on TDB1. Would anyone have an idea what might be the culprit behind this behavior ?

If you need additional details, by looking at the individual file size under "Data-001" I noticed that only the following files grow between the two different loading strategies : "SPO.idn", "nodes.idn", "nodes.dat", "OSP.dat", "POS.idn", "OSP.idn", "POS.dat" and "SPO.dat". I also have included to this mail a screenshot displaying a side-by-side comparison of the size of the databases files between gypso.ttl loaded incrementally on the left, and as a single file upload and the right. Hope this can maybe give a more low-level vision on the issue.

Best regards,
Cédric Viaccoz
Concepteur-Développeur au sein du domaine fonctionnel "Recherche et Information Scientifique (RISe)"
Division du système et des technologies de l'information et de la communication/ IT Services (DISTIC)
Université de Genève | 24 rue Général-Dufour | Bureau 338
Tél : +41 22 379 71 10

Re: [TDB2 & Fuseki 4.4.0] Huge tdb2 database disk size when performing incremental SPARQL update to endpoint.

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.

On 11/02/2022 11:08, Cédric Viaccoz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thank you for the answers. The lack of UI option + the fact I could not move the databases folder from 4.3.2 to 4.4.0 without a  tdb lock exception being risen lead me to believe it was no longer supported. I am very glad to know that ain't the case, I am currently synching all of our datasets to TDB1 configured endpoints on fuseki 4.4, I am no longer blocked.
>
>   However, I would not mind having the option in the future to switch to TDB2 with our current architecture design, so I'm still very interested in understanding what is happening with the disk size inflation if anyone has an idea ?

For a usage pattern of many small updates, TDB1 still has a role.

TDB2 transactions are based around copy-on-write in the indexes. The old
usage is not recycles - it may still be in use by transactions that
haven't completed, and also full tracking would be quite expensive.
Instead, the space is reclaimed by running the TDB2 compact operating
which copies the in-use part of the database. These are the Data-NNNN
subdirectories. only the top most numbered one is in use. The others can
be deleted, archive, compressed, moved eleswhere etc - your choice.

It does man TDB2 grows appreciable then contracts where as TDB1 is based
on writing back to the same database. TDB1 has it's own consequences.
Writing back needs the database to a few moments of being quiet else the
transaction log simply keeps growing. TDB1 tranactions are also limited
in size as they are temporarily retained in the java heap as well as
being in the transaction log. You can run out of heap.

     Andy

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dave Reynolds <da...@gmail.com>.