Posted to users@directory.apache.org by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net> on 2008/03/11 12:37:22 UTC

[ApacheDS] Apache DS Linux binary installer - Testers needed

Hi everyone,

I'm finishing the Apache DS Linux binary installer.

It seems to work very good now. I need volunteers to test it on various
environment (Ubuntu, Debian, RedHat, Suse, Java 1.5.x, Java 1.6.x, etc.).

I tested it on my machine with Ubuntu 7.10 and Java 1.5.0_13.

For those who are interested in, the installer is located here:
    http://people.apache.org/ <http://tr_1205232733231>
~pamarcelot/apacheds-linux-1.5.2-SNAPSHOT.bin<http://people.apache.org/%7Epamarcelot/apacheds-linux-1.5.2-SNAPSHOT.bin>

You can launch the installer like a classic executable file:
$ ./apacheds-linux-1.5.2-SNAPSHOT.bin

The installer will ask you four questions:

   - Do you agree to the above license terms?
   - Where do you want to install Apache DS?
   - Where do you want to install Apache DS instances?
   - What name do you want for the default instance?

There will be default values for the three last ones (for easy install).

This installer will install the following things on your system:

   - ApacheDS data is installed in "/opt/apacheds-1.5.2-SNAPHOT" by
   default or what you chose in the installer
   - ApacheDS instances are installed in "/var/lib/apacheds-1.5.2-SNAPHOT"
   by default or what you chose in the installer
   - An init script will be installed in "/etc/init.d/apacheds-
   1.5.2-SNAPSHOT-$INSTANCE" where $INSTANCE is the chosen name for the
   default instance.
   -

To start the server, run the following command:
$ /etc/init.d/apacheds-1.5.2-SNAPSHOT-$INSTANCE start

To stop the server, run the following command:
$ /etc/init.d/apacheds-1.5.2-SNAPSHOT-$INSTANCE stop

If you want the server to be automatically launched at boot, you can use
this command on a Debian based distribution:
$ sudo update-rc.d apacheds-1.5.2-SNAPSHOT-$INSTANCE default

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud

Re: [ApacheDS] Apache DS Linux binary installer - Testers needed

Posted by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net>.
Yeah it was the 10389 port.

I had no log or error message to examine. I'll have to try running the init
script in debug/verbose mode (#!/bin/sh -X) to see what's going on.

Pierre-Arnaud

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Montag <da...@student.liu.se>.
Hi,

Are there any plans on making a Solaris installer?

Also, see my comment below.

/David

On 3/11/08, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net> wrote:

> Hi Felix,
>
> You're right to add this precision.
>
> I tried to run the server with the apacheds user (that was created by the
> installer if non-existent on the system) but I could not get it working.

Maybe it doesn't have the proper privileges to bind to the network port(s)?

So I set the default user as root to ensure everything would be ok.

Posted by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net>.
Hi Felix,

Posted by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net>.
Hi Felix,