Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Phillip Qin <Ph...@shareowner.com> on 2004/11/16 15:33:20 UTC

RE: Problem displaying PDF in IE6 from Tomcat using the ActiveX R eader Plug-in

Where do you generate the pdf? In servlet? The link has to be end with .pdf
(but before any query string) in order for acrobat reader active-x to kick
in.

Posted by Aman Raheja <ar...@techquotes.com>.
Here's some more input from our team, regarding the problem

"We've confirmed its defintely the "charset=ISO-8859-1" appended to the
Content-Type header that is causing the problem in IE.  [I'm not saying
IE shouldn't work with this, but we don't have a choice but to support
it.....]  We wrote a stand-alone servlet that works fine downloading a
pdf if we leave off the charset.  When we add the charset to the header,
it breaks.  It looks like when Tomcat is compiling our JSP code, its
adding the charset into the response based on what we see in the
intermediate Java code the Jasper compiler is producing.

---> Does anyone know how to override this on Tomcat 4.0.6 specifically?

FYI:  We read that this was a known issue in another forum, and some
version of Tomcat 4.1 might be changed to leave this off.  However, we
experimented with Tomcat 4.0.6/JDK 1.3.1, Tomcat 4.1.31/JDK 1.4.2, and
Tomcat 5.5.4/JDK 1.5.0, and all these combinations add the charset to
the response."

Meantime we are checking on the mis-spelled attachment for
Content-Disposition part of the header dump we sent earlier.

Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 20:33:26 GMT

Posted by Aman Raheja <ar...@techquotes.com>.
The pdf is at a relative path from the JSP that spawns the active-x.
The link would end with .pdf, but tomcat appends charset=ISO-8859-1 to
the content header.
Thanks
Aman Raheja