Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org> on 2014/07/25 23:25:28 UTC

What's Stopping us From Independent Platform Releases

Wanted to start a thread for everyone to share what concrete changes they'd
like to see happen before we start having platforms being released in an
unsynchronized fashion.

I'll start :)

cordova-js:
 - cordova.version returns a value computed from the cordova-js git tag.
   - Let's deprecate this field
   - And create "cordova.platformVersion"
   - And update our release process to have the version set based on the
platform's version rather than the tag within cordova-js.

Cordova-docs:
 - Most of the docs are not actually affected by platform versions.
 - Mainly though, it's the platform guides that are.
 - Two options that I see:
   - 1) Set default version to "edge" & always annotate with "added in
X.X.X, removed in X.X.X"
   - 2) Move guides to live in platform repos and link to them from docs.

cordova-cli:
  - Set version to 4.0.0 just to make it so that it doesn't map to any
existing platform versions

Release Process:
  - Tag cordova-js for each platform release with "PLATFORM-VERSION"
  - Rewrite
https://github.com/apache/cordova-coho/blob/master/docs/cadence-release-process.md
as "platforms-release-process"

RE: What's Stopping us From Independent Platform Releases

Posted by Ray Camden <ra...@adobe.com>.
Freaking Outlook kinda munged my reply, so I'll keep my replies on top.

When I saw "edge", I thought that meant *post* release. Err, I mean what's coming next. I've never read "edge" as being "the current release." So if I'm wrong, and it sounds like i am,you can disregard everything I said. :)

> For either option, edge would be equivalent to latest released work. Even
if you make changes on master for cordova-docs, it wouldn't be pushed to
edge unless we were doing a docs release and the feature was being
released. This is definitely something we need to keep track of. I don't
think we have been bitten by this before though and don't imagine it being
a big problem with either option and setting default docs to edge.

Moving platform docs to platform repos and grabbing them at build time for
docs would hopefully prevent this type of situation from arising.

> Please, please, please do not do this.
>
> Why can't the docs simply be updated w/o updating the bits? Is that really
> the case? If so, fix *that* bug.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by above? The reason we are needing
to switch docs is because we are not doing cadence releases after 3.6.0. So
either we have docs live with no version or we version it along side the
CLI. Ex. CLI could be at version 5, cordova-firefox could be at version
3.7.0, cordova-android could be at version 4.2, etc. What would the
versions of docs be?

Posted by Steven Gill <st...@gmail.com>.
Sounds good to me regarding docs.

I am going to start pushing my changes to cordova-js, cordova-lib, and
cordova-coho now. I am planning on testing out the process for indy
releases by doing a release for the browser platform. I will start up a
discuss thread when I am ready to do that.

-Steve

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>.

Posted by Carlos Santana <cs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Carlos Santana <cs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steven Gill <st...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the input Ray!

Posted by Ray Camden <ra...@adobe.com>.
I'll echo the issues I raised before. If the docs say that so and so is supported, but it is for edge and not the current release, I think that would be a huge mistake. I consider myself a pretty good Cordova dev and I think even I would be confused as well. (I almost never run anything but the released version so I can be sure what I blog, help folks with, etc, matches the released version.)

Posted by Steven Gill <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>.

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>.

Posted by Carlos Santana <cs...@gmail.com>.
+1 one way of doing it

--
Carlos Santana
<cs...@gmail.com>

Re: What's Stopping us From Independent Platform Releases

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.

Posted by Carlos Santana <cs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michal Mocny <mm...@chromium.org>.

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>.

Posted by Ian Clelland <ic...@chromium.org>.

Posted by Steven Gill <st...@gmail.com>.
New question

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>.

Posted by Steven Gill <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michal Mocny <mm...@chromium.org>.

Posted by Gorkem Ercan <go...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Carlos Santana <cs...@gmail.com>.
Andrew
  Good catch on cordova-js, +1

Steve
  We also need to be very clear about which versions are pinned to cli.
Communicate that to our users in tools release blog posts and maybe some
config file?

Not config file, communicate on the package.json (and maybe in README.md if
not very clear that is in pacakge,json of the cordova node module)
Also CLI will use the values from package.json to know the version of the
platform to download if one is not provided, this is the data that is
located today in platforms.js in [1] (don't be confuse with with
platform.js in the same directory :-) )  is just surfacing to be more clear
what will the CLI use

[1]:
https://github.com/apache/cordova-lib/blob/master/cordova-lib/src/cordova/platforms.js

--
Carlos Santana
<cs...@gmail.com>

Re: What's Stopping us From Independent Platform Releases

Posted by Steven Gill <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>.

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.